PDA

View Full Version : Expression Builder in LW[8] hosed... please confirm

NigelH
11-28-2004, 11:50 AM
If I try to create an expreiion in Expression Builder, everything works fine until I hit the 'Create Expression' button. The expression name translates to the 'Name' field, but the expression itself doesn't translate to the 'Value' field. It remains blank. Even if I manually type the expression into ther 'Value' field (then hit the 'enter' button), it appears to stay there until I move or re-size the Graph Editor window - then it clears again. Of course, the fact that the 'Validate' button is always active indicates that the expression was never entered in the first place.

I'm sure there's a bug in here somewhere - perhaps several - but I'm not sure whether it's with Expression Builder itself or the (already confirmed) text entry problems in LightWave 8.01.

Expression Builder worked (wonderfully) well in 7.5. Don't remember using it in [8] before 'upgrading' to 8.01. Can anyone confirm this problem in both 8.0 and 8.01 so I can determine whether it is worthwhile to go back to [8] (if not 7.5 as a last resort)?

NigelH
11-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Old age must be eating my brain. Just remembered that I posted this particular problem on the 'LW[8] Bugs' thread almost 3 months ago Bug listing #009 (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=210525&postcount=49). I sure hope Newtek reads that stuff before forging ahead with new "updates".

In any case, I still need a confirmation on the problem in LW 8.0. Thx!

toby
11-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Have you tried the new Expressions Editor? Looks very cool, I'm going to try and learn it -

NigelH
11-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Nothing concerning creating expressions via the graph editor seems to work correctly. Even when removing an expression fom a channel, when I hit the 'remove' button, the 'dot' next to the channel name in the channel box remains - even after removing and reloading the channel in the channel box. The expression DOES appear to have been removed, but the dot that remains next to the channel name can't help but cause confusion.

When I copy and paste the expression created by the Expression Builder directly into the 'Expression:' field of the 'Channel Expression' plug-in (drop-down selection under the 'Modifier' tab), and hit the 'Test Expression' button, then nothing happens. No error message, no feedback at all. If I click the 'continue' button, the window closes, but, again, nothing else appears to happen. If I re-open the expression plug-in, the expression previously pasted in is gone.

Obviously, I could be doing something wrong, but in any case, it should tell me so. At this point, I've given up trying to write expressions in LW[8]. If I need to do something simple, I'll just go back to 7.5. If I need to do something complex, I'll just go to Maya.

Thomas
11-30-2004, 12:08 AM
I had the disapperaring formula bug yesterday. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. After fiddling a while I found that if the name of the object (or null) is too long, it stops working. Since I was playing with a few different nulls the solution was simple, I renamed the nulls to something shorter. I think no more than 10-12 characters and the expression is missing.

This bug REALLY needs fixing!

Regards
Thomas

NigelH
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
I had the disapperaring formula bug yesterday. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. After fiddling a while I found that if the name of the object (or null) is too long, it stops working. Since I was playing with a few different nulls the solution was simple, I renamed the nulls to something shorter. I think no more than 10-12 characters and the expression is missing.

Just tried it with a VERY simple Morph Link expression where the morph target is simply called 'muscle'. Still doesn't work. Maybe if I tried the exact same thing again, it might work (or not, I don't have the energy). The fact is, it needs to work all the time, everytime, consistently. The depressing part is, that it USED to work. Talk about entropy.

ddaniels
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Hey I have had similar problems also cant edit old expressions in graph editor (from 7.5 files for example) and had a friend who is also on a mac try this and he to is unable to edit expressions or create them with expression builder. So it seems that 8.01 on the mac just doesnt want you to create or edit expressions. My pain in the A** work around was to fire up 7.5 write my expression save it in a scene and load the scene into 8. So anyway it does seem to be a bug and a real pain of one for that matter