PDA

View Full Version : record pivot rotation and rest position

lord
04-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Any way of speeding up this process?

Bit of a nightmare (tedious and prone to missing parts) with complex heirarchies.

Particularly when experimenting with many different setups for one specific rig.

Surely there should be a button that does this on mass to "Selected Bones"?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lord

PS I have checked flay for a script, without much luck.

robol921
04-10-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure, but maybe in the SpreadSheet Editor there is an option to do this.

robol921
04-10-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure, but maybe in the SpreadSheet Editor there is an option to do this.

Teig
04-10-2003, 04:07 PM
It might help if I knew what type of an object you were talking about. I just completed a nightmare of a project modeling a animated rubiks cube. I ended up having to use dynamic parenting. It took a bit to even find where it is in the program. Im hoping to du a tut in the next month. If you can post a bit more info on what you are trying to do it would help.

PHilly[Dee]
04-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by lord
Any way of speeding up this process?

Surely there should be a button that does this on mass to "Selected Bones"?

TMP's Bone Tools has all this. It's pretty handy. You have all your bones where you want them, and you trigger that plugin and you've got all your bones' pivots recorded. There's also another plugin in TMP's Bone Tools that will batch rest all your bones as well. Pretty handy stuff.

I know you can multiple select bones, and by hitting 'r' you are actually resting bones that are selected...

anyway, check it out here: http://www.tmproductions.com/ (http://www.tmproductions.com/ProductsHTML/AssignBoneVMaps.html)

lord
04-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Teig -

It's just alot of bones controlling secondary parts of an object.
The bones are then assigned expressions which link their movement to control nulls in groups, mostly just rotation.
It's not a complex task Recording Pivot Rotation, just tedious takes a really long time as I mentioned when you have so many bones in a heirarchy and the manual bone by bone method is prone to mistakes.

Thanks Philly -

I'll have a look at tmp's Bone Tools.

Cheers,

Lord

PHilly[Dee]
04-10-2003, 10:29 PM
yeah if you're looking to toggle all bones on/off (rest, pivot rotation, etc) this is the way to go :)

Cheers....

Teig
04-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Looks like the bone tool is the way to go. you might combine this with dynamic parenting. With dynamic parenting you can also make some changes if you make a mistake without having to redo as much.

PHilly[Dee]
04-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Hey, I was browsing some of the new plugs posted on flay.com, and one thing led to another... here's another one of these batch bone tools... check it out:

http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/htm/frameplugins.shtml

The plugin's called BoneToggle.p located toward the bottom of the page:D

lord
04-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Hey Teig

Still a little confused as to what you're hinting at. Does the dynamic parenting thing mean that after I have done all the setup stuff with the bones such as recording rest pos and pivot rotation that dynamic parent allows for some heirarchical changes and avoiding those messy situations you run into reorganizing parenting etc?
Would you mind imparting more detail of this?

Hey Philly
frameplugins sight was down when I tried, will try again sometime soon.

Thanks Chaps

Lord

Teig
04-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey Lord Ill try to explain better,

My situation is that I wanted to animate a rubiks cube. I thought it was going to be easy. I thought I could select a side, rotate, repeat. Problem is that when you do it that way, it references the original coords. It works ok till the 4th move. At that point it tries to blend the moves and it gets all out of whack. Also when you parent an object normally it is always parented to that object. if you try to change it or parent it to another item it changes everything. With dynamic parenting you can parent an object just for a series of frames and then bake (save) it. Doing it that way it allows you to make animations that go past normal geometry. It's like it resets all coords to zero. Also I think motion mixer allows you to save a series of motions. If you are doing like a walk mode you only have to do it once and then re-use it. The controls for dynamic parenting are in Layout in the Items Tab, go to Motion options. Select Add modifier and use parenter. I created a Null for each move. The only thing i couldn't figure out is how to select a set of cubes on a side, so I had to do it manually.

hope that helps.

Teig

lord
04-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Teig,

Cheers for your interest,

The project in question that I'm working on involves rigging a wing. It needs to be very convincing, the feathers need to be able to fan, while the wing opens and closes. Additionally the wings need to convey a certain amount of hand-like expression/gestures. Ideally I want this to be catered for by a single rig.

What I've done so far is set up a standard arm rig for the broad wing movements- (not rocket science) parented to these bones are a row of bones that will control the fanning motion of the feathers.

Feather bones are grouped into three sets, each set is parented to a corresponding arm/wing bone

Primaries -> Hand Bone

Secondaries -> Forearm (Radius) bone

Tertiaries -> Bicep (Humerous) bone

While the marginal feathers, those along the leading edge of the wing are modelled as a mass, and deformed using the arm/wing bones as usual.

Think it ends up with thirty bones for the feathers alone in a wing.

As you can see recording both pivot rotaion and rest position for an increasing number of bones becomes tedious and time consuming, which is the original purpose of this thread. Though I'm very happy to indulge your curiosity about the rig if it means getting some help/suggestions.

Incidentally I could be way off with this solution. But I can't think of any other way to have tight control of the wing animation.

The Primary Feathers, those at the tip of the wing, will need the most control, these are intended to convey simple finger like gestures. I figure that these will need to be able to be controlled enmass and individually.

The Secondary Feathers, those through the middle portion of the wing, will need only onmass controls- fanning and some form of billowing type movement.

The Tertiary Feathers, those blending into the body of the bird will need less direct bone control the closer they are to the body.

I had two theories as to how to control the bulk of the animation of the feathers.

The first was to control it using the angle between ajoining corresponding wing bones, and using expressions to drive the feathers based on those angles.

The second was to have Control objects whoes rotation controlled the feathers fanning through expressions.

Both theories need to be compensated as they reach the joint between wing bones to ensure smooth blending between feather groups.

The Wing Bone Angle solution only goes so far, dosn't allow for independant control of the feathers.

Which is why I'm leaning toward the Feather Group Controller solution.

Guess there are three types of motion involved for the feathers, general fanning, billowing and primary feather gestures.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, though I expect I'll figure something out either way.

Cheers,

Lord