PDA

View Full Version : Gee, LW at the apple store...

archiea
04-10-2003, 04:26 AM
...Not!!!

You gotta wonder...

I go into the apple store with the intent of getting a laptop. Apple facilitates the user in providing Photoshop, as well as their own aps, on the demo machines. what a great way to benchmark the machines. Heck, they even have Virtual PC running!

Hey, how does LW run on the 1ghz powerbook as compared to a tower, or even an iMac? Gee, how would I know, it ain't loaded!!! Hmm, maybe I can go to the NT site and Dl it since they have a demo. Hmmm.. no demo.

So, do I bring the Lw demo CD to the apple store and ask them if I can install it to benchmark what machine is best for me? Uh. I can try I guess... Oh! administrative password?

Well, here I see a HUGE hole in any possibility of exposing the mac community to LW. Is just doesn't exist. Photoshop does, I can see it there. And its too bad, as I see LW as such a solution to the mac community.

I have voiced my fear in the past that we are entering a Video Toaster centric era of NT, especially with the smoke and mirrors situation of LW programmers and Luxology. I mean, here we are at the 2003 NAB. We have an HD toaster, no small feat, and the same company can't even get a mac LW demo into an accessable form. Heck, the 7.5b release is such a poster child of what the state of the mac is within NT. why can't even the executable aps of Layout and Modeler be available w/o the libraries of objects?

Do they care, yeah I believe they really do. I think the more frightful answer is the lack of resource/money.

I think that especially with he recent apple announcments, the lack of any Lw presence in apple stores severely hurts NT in an area that is set for rapid growth. Apple's desire to dominate the post tools arena opens such an opportunity for NT to have customers associate LW as part of the solution. Its not to different in how Apple pushes Logic as their solution to music production to their software suite. Perhaps its political issues with apple or even a cost issue with having LW in Apple stores. I don't understand, nor do I attempt to. I just know of the opportunity that Nt is missing...

Beamtracer
04-10-2003, 06:55 AM
Good point, Arthur.

Meanwhile Maya is heavily promoted on Apple's website. I wonder what it would take to get Lightwave promoted by Apple to that extent.

eblu
04-10-2003, 10:29 AM
what would it take?
Pixar's interest.

serpicolugnut
04-10-2003, 10:46 AM
..I did just that...

When I bought my PBG4/1ghz, I wanted to make sure it would run LW7.5 good enough use it everyday.

I simply called up the Lenox Apple Store here in Atlanta, explained to them what I wanted to do, and they said - "Sure, come on in, bring the softare, and see how it runs...".

I went in, talked to the sales rep, and he helped me get it installed on a PB. I played with it for about 20 minutes before deciding it ran well and made the purchase.

luka
04-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I was thinking about doing that when the G5 comes out, go down to my local Apple store and do some benchtesting. But one small problem. My Apple store has moved futher away from me now. So it would be a cut lunch senario on a Saturday thing now. But I shall rise and reward my curiosity :cool: