PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Quarter

mjroddy
11-27-2004, 02:10 AM
Is there a place I can find a bump map for a US quarter - front and back?
I'm looking to create a near-photo-real quarter that I plan on bending - yup, bending. So I have to figure that out too (I'm a newbie that's been away from LW for toooo long).
I scanned a quarter here on my scanner and it came out OK. But making that a bump doesn't work since the highlights are all wrong. I could repaint the bugger - if I had talent. But I don't, so I'm hoping to find a map that's ready-to-go. Any chances?

Hoopti
11-27-2004, 02:34 AM
Here's the only one's I've found. Expensive, but at least they're out there.

Hoop

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/190963/Action/FullPreview

SplineGod
11-27-2004, 03:50 AM
You might try this tutorial: http://www.zarria.net/
I would look at painting a quarter and applying this technique.
BTW when I say paint a quarter I mean spray paint it so you can get
some decent shadows. :)

hrgiger
11-27-2004, 06:01 AM
I would definately paint my own map before I'd buy one of TurboStealers. It'd be best if you had your own digital camera but there must be hundreds of pictures of the quarter on the web that you could use as a template in photoshop. You could probably do a lot of it just by adjusting your levels in PS.

Silkrooster
11-28-2004, 03:14 AM
There is nothing stoping you from taking a quarter and making an ink impression with it and scan in the impression. That should work for your bump map or better yet a displacement map.
Silk

Hoopti
11-28-2004, 08:42 AM
What a great idea! I never would have thought of that one.

SplineGod
11-28-2004, 06:41 PM
I think the problem youll run into with the ink is getting ink in unwanted areas and smearing. You might be ablel to clean up the scan in a paint program. :)

mjroddy
11-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the Ink Idea, but I'm not sure it will work. Still a cool thought.
And, saddly, I'm not even close to being good enough to paint my own.
Thanks again everyone. -mjr