PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Recomendations For A Live Switching System

ichaos
04-10-2003, 12:58 AM
I am looking for recommendations for a Video Toaster System that will be used for live switching among other things in a 3 to 4 camera studio.

I have seen some prebuilt systems and I wanted to see if anyone had recomendations. I have been looking at the systems at Safeharbor www.sharbor.com and a couple others.

Also I wanted to see if anyone had any recomendations for monitors.

johnnylandrover
04-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Contact Blaine or Chris at Videohardware.com. They build the best system in the country, also they are located in tax free New Hampsire. I'm pretty positive they build system for safe harbor who sells them to the end user, and the tech support is very very good.

Johnny:)

Jim Capillo
04-10-2003, 11:13 AM
I would have to second Blaine. My system has been virtually bulletproof and he's been there to answer every question!

wvp
04-10-2003, 07:58 PM
I'll put a "third" in for Video Hardware Services (http://www.videohardware.com) , Blaine & Chris & the rest will help set you up with the right system for you. (Don't expect to talk to Blaine until at least next week though, he's Toastin' in Vegas!) But Chris can help you out.
As for computer monitors, go down to the local computer store & check them out. Pick what looks good to you .

bbeanan
04-11-2003, 05:13 PM
I'll add a 4th vote for Video Hardware they built me a great system... not only that but only 3 days after I got my system I did a 4 camera live event with President Bush...

Jim Capillo
04-11-2003, 05:45 PM
41 or 43 ?

bbeanan
04-11-2003, 05:52 PM
43 (when they are both in the room Mrs. Bush (mom) just calls them 84 :p )

Blaine Holm
04-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys.... we really appreciate it, and I mean it.

Just for the record, we do not build Safe Harbor's systems, and they do a good job too, just a little different.

We do supply systems to several other dealers however.

Keith Nealy
04-12-2003, 01:57 AM
I would recommend Blaine also but he already has a swelled head so I'll save it for another time.

Seriously, I've had one of the B-man's systems for over a year and a half and have put it through a lot of productions, live and post and it has never hiccupped, coughed, or spit up in all that time.

I hear all these guys on the boards who have all these problems and I never have any... and I really feel lucky and smart that I had someone who really knows what he is doing build the machine (instead of trying to do it myself to save a few bucks.)

It was the best decision I ever made.

Thanks again Blaine... I'll be calling you soon about the upgrade and "stuff".

Keith

Bassbloke2000
04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
As if enough weren't already said about Video Hardware, I also recommend them highly. I built my own dual zeon server to save costs, and I purchased my toaster gear (software, SX8 and RS8) from VHC to save myself a bundle in sales tax. That can add up to quite a tidy sum, which you can reinvest in your system. I live in CA and the sales tax here is 8%. You do the math.

As for monitors, I use dual 18" LCDs. When I was switching for others using folsoms and such, I used NEC 2010X multi-syncs, but they were a bit pricey for launching my own system. LCDs are light, powerful and mobile if you can spare the expense.

Laurence Sibley
[email protected]

irfan
04-15-2003, 06:49 PM
ichaos: I looked at your webpage and you seem to be in Northern California.

If so, give Curtis a call. He's done really good work for us and he's over in Modesto, CA. Between Curtis and Dan, you'll get excellent support. (http://www.provideosound.net/contact_us.html)

Feel free to ask questions here about what your system config should be like.

Good luck.

Irfan