PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Essential LW 7.5 tutorial

fugue
11-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm still working in 7.5 precisely because I am still going through this book. After that, I may install my upgrade to 8.

Anyway, I'm working on chapter 6, the interior set. I doubt I'll be putting cornices in many of my sets, but I should be able to do it, I figure. As far as I can tell, I'm following all Albee's instructions, but after I do the Rail Bevel, using his floor plan and his bevel outline, I do not get instant cornices, but instant mess. Wherever there is a seam in the wall, the bevel expands outward. No, this isn't the window molding part where the points go in separate directions and need to be welded together. This is just a bend in the path. See the top view picture attached.

I tried to access his website, but it times out.

Any suggestions? ^_^;;;;

Thanks!

K

mattclary
11-27-2004, 12:08 PM
My only question is, why would you post an image as a pdf rather than a jpg?

fugue
11-27-2004, 12:43 PM
My only question is, why would you post an image as a pdf rather than a jpg?

If you take a screen snap in OS X, it's a PDF. I didn't see it as a problem. Doesn't every computer on the planet have a copy of Acrobat Reader?

Now that I have answered your question, have you any ideas on mine?

Doran
11-27-2004, 05:23 PM
"Doesn't every computer on the planet have a copy of Acrobat Reader?"

perhaps but the images don't load as fast or automatically in most cases.

Trying moving the rail make sure it isn't over laping the target.. try flipping the rail polygons.

fugue
11-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately neither seems to have helped, but at least it gave me something to try.

fugue
11-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi, all!

Well, in utter desperation, I went looking for the author of the book, found his e-mail address, and dared to disturb him with my problem.

He says he hasn't seen it before. He managed to recreate my problem, but he's still not sure why it's happening.

Should your rail bevels ever start sliding outward at points, he suggests two solutions: delete the offending points before you bevel (in my case, points that were not at corners) or use the Band-Glue Tool. I've tried the Band-Glue--it works well, if you don't have time to go back. I assume going back and deleting the points will be even easier.

Just thought I should update, in case anyone else ever finds themselves flummoxed by this.

fugue
11-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Just wanted you to know, Doran, I have found a utility that will let me make screen snaps on the Mac in JPG, PNG, or TIF. So I'll do JPG next time.

K

Silkrooster
11-28-2004, 07:36 PM
I appreciate you taking the time to respond with the answer. It allows those that have not run across this problem yet, to have an idea of what to do. I am glad you were able to get this fixed and thanks.
Silk