PDA

View Full Version : 0K Layout File Hell

blabberlicious
11-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Dear NT,
What can I say, I HOPE and PRAY that you have sorted out the Zero K Layout crash - which has made my week hell on earth.

I have had a total of 8 wipe-outs. Layout crashes during a save - and everything gone. The file either won't open, or open blank.

Whacking out hundred of incremental scene saves is no fun.

LW on the mac has become like Russian roulette - I have mailed Scott - hoping for some sort of confirmation that the problem has been fixed, but got no reply.

So fingers crossed, because without a fix - that's it for me with LW on a mac.

dpartridge
11-26-2004, 11:37 PM
how did it wipe out hundreds of incremental scenes. would it wipe out only the file your saving over ?

blabberlicious
11-27-2004, 03:05 AM
I guess you are being facetious (?). Hard to tell. If you aren't - sorry.

If you are - smell the roses, buddy :-)

Obviously, I, switched to incremental saving. But that's not a solution for something that should not be happening.

If I have to incrementally save EVERY freakin' LW scene I open and edit, just to avoid the risk of destroying it, how good is that?

Incidentally, if I want to incrementally save, I usually keep 3 versions of my file and cycle between them. The LW tool just spawns 1000's of files, most of which you just trash. A typical example of a good idea - poorly implemented.

Why should I litter my project files with duplicate files and waste time housekeeping files?

Policarpo - where are you? I need a sanity check!

:mad:

dpartridge
11-27-2004, 03:46 PM
yeah, i just got use to working this way since my strata 3d days, this program use to do the same. i misunderstood your first post, though that lightwave wiped out all your incremental files somehow.

blabberlicious
11-27-2004, 04:48 PM
yeah, i just got use to working this way since my strata 3d days, this program use to do the same. i misunderstood your first post, though that lightwave wiped out all your incremental files somehow.

Hey, no problems!

I'm an old Strata renegade, too. Sometimes I pine for it's stability :-)

Sorry if I sounded a bit amped - but stuff like this really annoying - and I have a horrible feeling that we will get 8.2, and no mention of the problem - let alone a fix.

jdavidbakr
11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Just curious, are you using the hub? I have had success pulling corrupt files out of the hub. I've never experienced the zero file size save corruption I have heard so much about... may be a Panther thing (I'm still on Jaguar, the age old "don't upgrade your OS when you are in the middle of a project" vs "You are always in the middle of a project"...) I did have a file save that corrupted it, I was able to use HexEdit to fix it but that required studying the SDK to learn about the file format and fix the problem that it had. Still, took less time than to rebuild the model...

Of course, using the hub's backup feature doesn't fix the real problem either, but at least it may be preferable to have 1000 incremental saves. The only time the hub didn't work for me is when I had the crash I describe above and I didn't have Modeler and Lightwave both open at that time, so the hub wasn't saving the file.

Just a thought...

Ge4-ce
11-30-2004, 03:23 AM
I work with the latest panther (10.3.6) and LW 8.0.1

I never had any dataloss with LW ever..

But I guess it does suck when you have the problem, and the problem has to be solved

jdavidbakr
11-30-2004, 07:03 AM
You know, surely this has come up, but you don't by any chance have Norton installed on your system, do you? I was just trying to see if I could think of something that might cause something like this and that's the first thing I thought of. Norton is bad karma for the Mac, it was installed on my iMac when I first got it and it gave me no end of trouble. Once I wiped the drive and re-installed the system (and that's what it took to get rid of Norton) I haven't had any problems since then.

Zarathustra
11-30-2004, 07:13 AM
I haven't seen this personally because I won't go near 8 for any serious work, but Policarpo has had this aplenty and he's mentioned that there is a connection to having the scene editor open. I dunno. This is a touchy bug apparently, because everytime he brings it up it online causes some firestorm of discussion.

He also has said the objects are subject to destruction, too. I guess I would just have back up folders with my scenes and objects. Headache to constantly duplicate every object and scene after each save, but the alternative is worse.