PDA

View Full Version : moiré artifacts

button_monkey3d
04-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Hello,

My first post on this forum. I have been rendering a few tests in Lightwave at D1 resolution, edited in Premiere and then output to DVD and I have been noticing that I am getting some pretty serious moiré artifacts on all my sharp horizontal edges. Sort of like the pixels are crawling across the surface of the edges as the camera moves by. I am rendering with enhanced medium antialiasing, Motion blur on, no fields, and Im not sure how to minimize the problem. Does it have anything to do with field settings? Is their something that I may be missing?

I found this thread on the subject:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1680&highlight=MOIR%C9

but I have tired most of these techniques and still have the problem.

(edit) Sorry I just realized I posted in the wrong section, but for some reason I can not delete the post.

trick
04-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Thin horizontal lines and small repeating patterns always give artifacts, even at high AA levels: rendering to fields doesn't do any good if the line is only visible in one field !! - Have you ever seen newsreaders with striped shirts ???-

There is always the possibility to do a Despeckle or a 1-pixel vertical directional blur in Photoshop or After Effects. There is off course a trade-off with the blurring, but in my opinion this is always a better choice then strong flickering.

If you do not want any kind of blurring, you can put the materials for the horizontal lines in a seperate buffer and do the tricks only in the channels for these lines.....

good luck....

jaulix
04-10-2003, 09:07 AM
good tip