PDA

View Full Version : to Bone or not to Bone, that is my question.

Maz
11-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Im trying to animate a robot ive built, and when i use bones, the objects deform. This is fine for organic movement like a human arm, but i dont want the robosts metal arms to bend at all. Is there an option i missed or something?

So far ive been doing it by parenting then moving each object. But id like to have an IK chain that wont deform. it would be alot easier. Is there a way to do it, and is there a tutorial that mite be floating round? thnx.

Dodgy
11-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Read up on weight maps in the lightwave manual. These allow you to specify exactly which part of your object is affect by a particular bone.

pixelinfected
11-26-2004, 06:02 AM
ik work on every item parented : bone, null, objects and more.
no need to use bone for ik.
idea of weightmap is nice for robotic setup, but for complex setup, i prefer common parented obj, from modeler, with correct pv point position, that when i load it in layout all work is done, i need only to add ik, and eventually some expression to automate some secondary motion.

Weetos
11-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Like Pixelinfected said, a robot doesn't really need bones, sure you can use weight maps, but this is not imho the right choice. Instead you can break your robot into mechanical pieces and cut/paste those pieces one by one in different layers. Now you have to move the pivot point to where it should be on each layer, rename the layers to what they contain (Left_foot, Left_ankle and so on, just like you would do if you were setting bones). save, export to Layout and using the scene editor parent the different parts to what they should be parented. Add some Nulls as IK goals, and you're (well almost) all set :)

Regards

Weetos

pixelinfected
11-26-2004, 10:19 AM
i prefer to parent layer directly from modeler, i avoid to redo parenting in layout every time i need to reload complex obj.

if you go in modeler, open layer panel, double clik on layer allow you to rename it and setup who is its parent.

modeler rocks!!!

Maz
11-26-2004, 08:35 PM
awesome, ive only ever seen tutorials on ik with bones. Didnt even think u could do it on plain objects. Thanks alot guys. lots a help.
P.S: If someone wants to make a really really simple/short tutorial on how to setup ik on say, a robots arm (hand/lowerarm/upperarm/shoulder) whith a pic or two, that would be really nice.
But thnx guys.

SplineGod
11-27-2004, 02:41 AM
You can also do all the above in sections. Parts can be linked to bones via weight maps. Pieces can be parented to bones directly. Parts can be a mixture of flexible and rigid parts. An arm object can have its own set of bones independant of other parts. That arm can be parented to another object or a bone within that object.
It all depends on how it needs to behave. :)