PDA

View Full Version : VT Freeze with a Beethoven error...

webbone
11-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi guys, I've two machine with the VT[3] system. One of this machine, have a great problem of stabilty. Approximately after 1 hour and half, the VT system crashes with a Beethoven API dll error. The image from the cameras are blocked. The use of the VT in all the cases is simple: switching from a camera to another with some TEXT impressed on the screen that isn't changing is status.

It causes me great problems because we use this machine on a local TV in Italy to send on-air some transmission. So have anyone any ideas about? I tried to reinstall XP SP2 and all the VT software but it doesn't work.

The System:

Supermicro motherboard X5DA8 / X5DAE
Double Xeon 2.80 Ghz with Hyper Treading ACTIVE
1Gb RAM ECC
Adaptec 7902B U320 SCSI controller (on-board)
Audio integrated
1 HDD Western Digital SCSI 80 Gb
1 HDD Maxtor EIDE 120 Gb
Pioneer DVD-ROM
Pioneer DVD-RW

I have no ideas about the crash! The VT is the latest version 4909.

Thanks in advance to everybody...

Jim Capillo
11-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi guys, I've two machine with the VT[3] system. One of this machine, have a great problem of stabilty. Approximately after 1 hour and half, the VT system crashes with a Beethoven API dll error. The image from the cameras are blocked. The use of the VT in all the cases is simple: switching from a camera to another with some TEXT impressed on the screen that isn't changing is status.

It causes me great problems because we use this machine on a local TV in Italy to send on-air some transmission. So have anyone any ideas about? I tried to reinstall XP SP2 and all the VT software but it doesn't work.

Sounds like a possible heat/hardware problem..... maybe RAM. Have you checked for proper ventilation? All the fans working (especially the ones on the CPU's)? I would also do a RAM test to see if that's OK.

I don't know what the Beethoven error is, but I suspect it has something to do with video.... :o :confused:

SBowie
11-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Adaptec 7902B U320 SCSI controller (on-board)
Audio integrated
1 HDD Western Digital SCSI 80 Gb
Surely you don't mean to indicate that you are running this system in an on-air appplication with just a single SCSI drive for video?

Apart from that, I notice you mention the use of the motherboard's integrated audio. This is just one thing of a number that may at times cause interruptions in playback.

webbone
11-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Surely you don't mean to indicate that you are running this system in an on-air appplication with just a single SCSI drive for video?

Apart from that, I notice you mention the use of the motherboard's integrated audio. This is just one thing of a number that may at times cause interruptions in playback.

Yes one HD :-P.

The problem is that this two machine wasn't built by me. I'm very disappointed about this things but I can't do anything about that. the only thing I can do is ti make this machine stable....

I think that could be a problem with the heat of the hardware or with the impostation of Bios and other things.

The error is Beethoven.api libraries... or something similar...

webbone
11-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Sounds like a possible heat/hardware problem..... maybe RAM. Have you checked for proper ventilation? All the fans working (especially the ones on the CPU's)? I would also do a RAM test to see if that's OK.

I don't know what the Beethoven error is, but I suspect it has something to do with video.... :o :confused:
I'll do a check of the system but I think it's ok...

Jim Capillo
11-25-2004, 06:55 AM
I'll do a check of the system but I think it's ok...

It's just weird that it will run for an hour or so before crashing. Is there anything common that you are doing when it crashes?

SBowie
11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Actually, I kind of think 'beethoven' is an audio thing -- I'd be looking into anything audio related that might cause an interruption.

A single drive playback system is teetering on the brink of failing at the best of times. (Frankly I'm surprised it will play back reliably as long as it does!) If you haven't disabled system sounds and the onboard audio, that could easily be enough. Other possibilities include any kind of scheduled or background task, drive-indexing or system restore ...

Jim Capillo
11-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Actually, I kind of think 'beethoven' is an audio thing -- I'd be looking into anything audio related that might cause an interruption.

A single drive playback system is teetering on the brink of failing at the best of times. (Frankly I'm surprised it will play back reliably as long as it does!) If you haven't disabled system sounds and the onboard audio, that could easily be enough. Other possibilities include any kind of scheduled or background task, drive-indexing or system restore ...

That would seem to make sense, Steve. I remember reading something about it a looong time ago, but I can't remember specifics. What a surprise, huh ? :D

I am also surprised that a single drive would run that long.......

fingers
12-14-2004, 05:07 PM
I just purchased a new computer...and have been getting the message:
"Beethoven.api" error.
Since I disconected the RX84 panel. I have not got that message anymore.
Last night I also did a "system restore" back prior to the day I received the computer.
It now runs (without locking up) for about 7 hours!!!! :o