PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave via Tablet PC...?

DeathsHead
11-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Hello everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone out here in Lightwave Land has any "continued" expierence with these new "Tablet PC's" & Lightwave 7.5/8..?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Notebook which I use religously with Lightwave & noticed these Tablet PC's and was wondering if they were at all worth it. I've noticed that they seem to have a 1.1Ghz+ processors & up to 2 gigs of ram. But its the processor size that I question when it comes to using Lightwave with it.

Any & All info would & will be appreciated.

Thankyou & Goodnight.

PS. "Everyone have a safe & peacefull Thanksgiving... Thats & order!" :D

NanoGator
11-24-2004, 02:37 PM
Greets,

I have a TabletPC as well as Lightwave, and to be honest, mixing the two isn't all that beneficial. (strict IMHO.) I've never been a fan of using a tablet for LW in general. Mainly because, for the gestures used with it, the mouse appears to be faster.

With that said, I do enjoy using my TabletPC with Photoshop for painting textures. Having feedback right on the screen is amazing. The Tablet form factor is also much more comfy while using say on the couch, assuming kb access isn't in too high of demand.

As a general computing machine, I really do like the TabletPC. (I have a Toshiba M-200, if you're curious.) The Tablet mode is quite useful for couch surfing etc. It's light, small, and batteries last a while. It's a great addition to my toolset (I chose it over a cintiq), but for LW specifically, it wasn't much of a benefit.

If you have more specific questions (like are they pressure sensitive), feel free to fire them off. :) (Yes, most TabletPCs have pressure sensitivity.)

harlan
11-24-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm sure it'll work, but I'd be more concerned with the GPU in them? I don't use PC's much anymore so I'm not sure what the specs are on these Tablets, but if they've got a decent GPU they should be usable.

If I were to use one, the processor speed wouldn't be so much of a concern as I would more than likely render on a desktop or two - using the Tablet itself for the modeling/animation aspects. It's all relavant to your specific use though.

Personally, I would check out the Wacom Cintiq tablets. They're comparable in price to a Laptop, but they're platform independent, work as an additional monitor, allow you to draw directly on the screen like a TabletPC would, and they wouldn't limit you to Processing capabilities of the TabletPC. You could plug it into a workstation or your laptop and work "on screen" to your hearts content.

harlan
11-24-2004, 02:47 PM
If Nanogator's avatar is any indication as to the quality of "drawing directly on the screen with a TabletPC" then I'd look elsewhere! ;)

hehehe