PDA

View Full Version : 64bit LW....Mac?

crpcory
11-24-2004, 08:36 AM
So NewTek is being progressive by jumping at the idea of producing a 3D program geared toward 64bit computing, however, I see now mention of a Mac version of this. It looks like once again Apple computer jumps ahead of everyone else so much so they get overlooked by the rest of the community.

So while NewTek gears up for a release of a 64bit specific operating system from microsoft, Apple users will be waiting indefinetly. Not becuase we don't have 64bit computing already available, but becuase development just isn't happening.

If i'm wrong (and i hope i am) then there is development for a 64bit mac LW (and it's just not announced yet) then it'll just be another case of apple being too fast and (financially) small for the rest of the community.

Beamtracer
11-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Hehehe! Do a search on the many threads in this forum on the 64-bit topic.

I think the issue is Apple's Tiger OS, to be released in Q1 2005. Lightwave would need to get some components rewritten to make it 64-bit compliant with Tiger, and apparently Newtek feels it's more work to make a 64-bit Lightwave for OS X Tiger than it is to make a Windows version.

Why is Windows easier? Because it doesn't change or get updated much!

maschinsky
12-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I seriously hope that they just forgot to write about the 64Bit Version of LW for the MAC in that press release. Please NEWTEK enlighten us on your plans concerning the mac.

Maschinsky

Kurtis
12-09-2004, 02:06 PM
crpcory and maschinsky,

Beamtracer is right. This has come up previously, and Chuck's response was:

The chips are already ready - the operating systems are not, and the release of the 64-bit port would come after the 64-bit OSes are in release version. The announcement doesn't address the Mac port simply because we feel we have more work to do to complete that, for a number of reasons. Please rest assured that a 64-bit port is indeed in our roadmap for Mac development.

You can find the whole thread here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=30009

maschinsky
12-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Thank NEWTEK for that!

crpcory
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
now all i need is to make sure i get my new 64bit computer to go along with it and hopefully that will all fall together around the same time.

Beamtracer
12-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Newtek is having a demo this week in LA to show the Windows crowd a working 64-bit Lightwave running on a beta 64-bit Windows.

Ge4-ce
12-10-2004, 03:05 AM
Newtek is having a demo this week in LA to show the Windows crowd a working 64-bit Lightwave running on a beta 64-bit Windows.

I don't want to throw oil on the fire, but..

While NT states that "as I interpretated it" will start developing a 64 bit version for Mac, ONLY when Tiger has been officially released,... Why do they give a demo with a BETA-version of a windows 64 bit system??

I personally think it's a combination of marketing and technical stuff...

I would hate the fact that a 64bit Windows version is released considerably sooner then a 64bit Mac version...

Especially because the G5 would benifit a lot of this!! 64 bit processors in Windowsland,are among the normal people quite rare these days.. In macworld, 35% to 50% of the new buyers buy a computer with a G5 in it.. When powerbook G5's arrive, and the eMac goes G5, then except from the iBook purchasers everyone has a 64bit system!! It would be great marketing for NT to jump on that car as soon as possible!

Even more, Apple will be the first to release a 64 bit new OS in such a way..

I don't know the roadmap for Windows, but Longhorn is still a few years away, and a modified XP is not what I call a new OS...

I don't see a 64 bit version of Windows getting released Gold Master in the next half year..

Kurtis
12-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Ge4-ce,

If we weren't ready to begin work on a 64bit version of LW until a publisher officially released an OS, we wouldn't already have LW 64bit for Windows XP 64 in beta and being demoed. Its simply a matter that at this time the Windows OS is more ready for testing a commercially available 3D application. When the Mac OS reaches the same level, we'll be doing the same thing for it.

Beamtracer
12-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Its simply a matter that at this time the Windows OS is more ready for testing a commercially available 3D application.

Windows is not more ready than OS X. The real reason is because Microsoft doesn't modify Windows very often, so all the old crud is still inside it. Developers don't have to do much work to keep up with it, as it only changes about once a decade.

OS X is being updated yearly or even more, so developers need to stay on top of it. Apple has made some changes in the upcoming 64-bit Tiger OS, which would require developers to do some work to write to it. Some have mentioned the issue of Apple's old OS9 'QuickDraw' imaging technology not being ported to 64-bit Tiger.

So the issue will be... which developers will be ready to make their code compatible with Apple's new 64-bit OS?

Darth Mole
12-12-2004, 03:22 AM
Come on people, let's be realistic. Of course NewTek has to develop for Windows first - the numbers make more sense (and is probably the tougher job in the long run). And although Tiger is being readied for early next year, many beta reports suggest that it is highly unstable, changing on a regular basis and not at all ready for prime time - a May/June release date is mooted; still, potentially, seven months away.

From Mac OS Rumors:

"Mac OS X 10.4 is coming along nicely, according to developers; but it still has a long way to go, they say.

While many beta testers are reporting stellar performance, others seem to be experiencing nasty out-of-control "mdimport" processes and other oddities which bring their systems (even the latest dual G5's) to a grinding halt."

Also, Core Video, which I presume will be a major factor in development of graphics apps, is still nowhere near finished.

This rapidly moving target does not yet sound like the sort of development platform a small company like NewTek should be battling with when it has yet to produce a stable application on an existing and mature OS (10.3). Producing a 64-bit LW is a non-trival matter and I doubt NT has the resources to do both this and the PC version. Also, I suspect (or hope) that once Tiger is solid and out the door (and maybe with a few upgrades under its belt) developing a 64-bit Mac LW should happen a lot faster.

To sell a 64-bit LW, NT needs a three-way coincidence of needs: A Mac user, A Mac user with a G5, and a Mac user with a G5 who's upgraded to Tiger. (You might also add to that list a LW user who's brave enough to jump to yet another new iteration of the program).

I'd love to see a fast, 64-bit version of LightWave running on my dual 2GHz G5 - I love that phrase "stellar performance" :-) - but I'd currently prefer to get a stable version just running at all...

Ge4-ce
12-12-2004, 04:31 AM
I'd love to see a fast, 64-bit version of LightWave running on my dual 2GHz G5 - I love that phrase "stellar performance" :-) - but I'd currently prefer to get a stable version just running at all...

I'll drink to that one!

Kurtis
12-12-2004, 05:57 AM
Beamtreacer,

The original question, and the entirety of my answer applies solely to where each company currently stands toward having a 64bit OS ready for commercial release.

Regarless of anyone's feelings toward the quality or completeness of Microsoft Windows products in general, or Microsoft Windows Pro 64bit in particular, a version of the OS is available to the public for us to move it into beta testing, and it is closer to a commercial release than the 64bit Mac OS. As soon as the 64bit Mac OS reaches the point that we can begin the same process with it, we will make every effort to do so.

Darth Mole
12-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks Kurtis,

I look forward to seeing a proper 64-bit version of LW - whenever that might be.