PDA

View Full Version : Poly Max

koots
11-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Is there a set number of polygons that I should not go over for a character, and then total for a scene... So 2 questions

How many Polygons do I want to aim for a character I am working on?

and...

How Many Total for a scene?

I am pretty sure that number can change depending on How long I want render times to be and such. Assuming I am going for a detailed render, and a look that looks almost professional. Could someone please help me in the right direction?
Thanks
-jonn

Silkrooster
11-23-2004, 11:12 PM
I just check the LW8 manual and it says unlimited number of poly's per object and 32,000 objects per scene.
It is still a good idea to try to keep low poly count, because of rendering time.
Silk

koots
11-26-2004, 10:56 AM
thanks for the help. I am working on a robot character and so far i have 4000 polygons, and I am just on the hand. I will post an image of it later... Thanks again for the help

Silkrooster
11-26-2004, 05:17 PM
It may be a good idea to start a wip in the wip forum. Then you can get some feed back on how your doing. 4000 polys sounds like a lot, but then I haven't seen it yet. Good luck.
Silk

NanoGator
11-26-2004, 06:52 PM
I had a character that was about 400k polys or so. Unfortunately, this was just unsusable during character animation, so I had to make a low res version of it to animate with. (even wrote a fancy little script that'd allow me to reliably flip back and forth bewteen high qual and low qual.)

So, to summarize my point: You can probably crank it all the way up to a million, but it only works if you have a low res proxy to animate with. Anything over 200k, and it'll become unbearably slow to animate.

koots
11-26-2004, 11:04 PM
I guess I lied... it is only 2499 polygons for 1 hand. Like you were saying I think it might be too much.... Maybe time to redo it... This is what i have so far.

Silkrooster
11-26-2004, 11:43 PM
You could reduce your polys quite a bit by just replacing the ball part of the thumb with a sub'd part. I can't count how many polys are in that ball but a sub'd part would be about 4 polys.
Silk

koots
11-27-2004, 10:10 AM
normally i do a sub'd ball. but i can never get them to be perfect circles. I really wanted a perfect cirlce. would you mind showing me quick to show me a better way to get that effect.... o ya, what do you think of it so far?

Silkrooster
11-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Below is an image attached showing the setting for the box tool. Once you create the box, just hit tab. I also happen to have patch divisions set to 6. I desided the extra polys were needed to get rid of that slight edge that you see when just tabbing after creating a square box. Who know's you may even find a better solution yet. That is one thing I found out about LW there is more than one way to do the same thing.
I like where your headed with that hand. I like the detail of the pins in the fingers. I am wondering about the palm though, it kinda looks flat. Sometimes it is hard to tell with out being able to rotate the object.
Silk