PDA

View Full Version : LWO ---> OBJ (Maya) problems ?

Lewis
11-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi !

I need help on one subject.

I'm exporting LWO files to OBJ file which will be loaded in Maya and that works fine. i don't need surfaces nor UV maps so it's makes life easier BUT I need to transfer parts/groups and i can't find way to do it ?

Can i somehow transfer PARTS to be read in Maya trought OBJ file format (trough LW or Deep Exploration converter) ? Whenever i transfer file with parts i don't get them as groups in Maya and other side (May auser) can't select polys easy as I imagined with parts.

I tryed with selections sets and nope, I tryed with "create parts" and nope.

I need to export it that way since it will be textured in Maya (or even other software where files go after Maya). So to easy save parts (each part will then be saved as single object - don't ask why :) and there is going to be hundreds of them) they need to be selectable by clicking on grops in Maya.

Thanks for any help.

lunarcamel
11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Since I've got both apps open let at the moment let me see what happens ...

I know surfaces come over ok and then its pretty easy to create a selection set from that - but it should be easier to do ...

Lewis
11-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi and thanks for trying to help :)

I don't have Maya so i can't check by myself but point is to transfer "parts" from LW.

Object doesn't have surfaces at all. i just named some parts (selected polys) and they (Maya company) seems to not have those parts as groups on Maya after loading OBJ file ?. Can you test ? I can't send particular model but thing is simple. Make cube wiht several rows and colums, select few polys and in Lw hit "crate part" let's say "part_001". Then select other polys and create "part_002" and so on. Now export to OBJ (object still have default grey material) and load to Maya. now can you somehow select those parts (polys) in Maya by one click like from LW ?? Maya says it doesn't see nothing but "initial_shading_group". So i'm not sure are they doing something wrong or that dat aisn't transfered trough OBJ format ?

Cheers

lunarcamel
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Well this is what you get if you do that - not really an ideal result since it technically broke the cube apart.

Deep Exploration doesn't do it either ...

So far the only way I see it working with OBJs is to organize your parts as surfaces - annoying but then in Maya you can create quick sets with that data.

Lewis
11-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Hmm that's made by create part as i described and exported model form LW or DeepEX ?

I need exactly that and i wonder why theydidn't saw those part son maya ?

lunarcamel
11-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Yes thats using "create part" exported as an OBJ from LW - the downside to this though is that the parts are broken up - think "unwelded" - and that's not what you really want.

You can always post your model - or test model - and I can open it up just to check. It sounds like they were looking in the shading nodes in maya - no idea why though unless they have done this before with the surface method I descibed.

Lewis
11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok that's great then :)

Thing is that i acctualy won't do it on cubes example. i'll select and make parts from polys that acctuala are deatached/separated from each other in nature so no problme wiht unwelding there. Liek when you need want to select eye object as one part and head of character as other.

Thanks

lunarcamel
11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Sure - good luck ;)