PDA

View Full Version : in XP, where do I put the damn license key

aloysius1001
04-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Cannot find "lightwave_support" folder, which is where it says to put it. On my Mac it just goes in the programs folder for LW, tried this in XP but no dice.HELP!

js33
04-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi aloysius1001,

I'm on XP and mine is in the Lightwave\programs folder.
It should just be a text file that is named License.key.

Cheers,
JS

aloysius1001
04-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Not running in demo mode anymore, but now it says my "temporary" license expires in 14 days. This is not a temporary license though. I got this from Newtek a year ago.

hrgiger
04-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Just use the Windows and go to Start/Search. Point your search to the Lightwave folder and type in License

I use WinXP Pro and mine is also in the programs folder. Just open up the license key with notepad, change the number to your license key, save the file and that's it.

Phil
04-10-2003, 11:07 AM
One issue that shouldn't be overlooked is the tendency of notepad to put a .txt suffix on the end of the name specified in the save as dialog. Given Windows' hand holding that hides file extensions in Windows Explorer by default, it's easy to miss.

Save with quotes from notepad as : "license.key" to workaround notepad's stupidity.

That may not be the cause here, but it's tripped up a large number of people.

Phil.

Sashko123
06-16-2003, 04:50 AM
How is it that throughout all of the updates and with all the full and "demos to full" cd's Newtek couldn't come up with a better system of installation such as having the license typed in during installation; then the program would place everything in the right place. GEEEZ!

Phil
06-16-2003, 05:53 AM
Well, with (5.5?) 5.6 they did have a program that did this, but it tended to cause problems.

With 7.5c there appears to be a makelicense generic plugin in my drop down list inside Layout (not sure about Modeler) which could make life easier.

However, yes, they could better in this respect.... Perhaps with the new VT-styled development approach for LW(8?), we'll see this kind of thing sooner rather than later.

mattclary
06-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Aloysius, if you upgraded LW, you need to call Newtek and get a new key. That might explain the message.

korn_kid
06-16-2003, 05:47 PM
I know that in version 6 & 6.5 the license.key file should be place in \Lightwave\Programs\LightWave_Support\
and in version 7 & 7.5 it should be in \LightWave\Programs\

mrunion
06-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Also, to get around Notepad's "stupidity" at appending ".txt" on all files, choose the "All Files" option below the file name entry area when saving. Then it will use your extension as is and not appeand ".txt". If you don't, the default is "Text Files" so it assuems that's what you want.