PDA

View Full Version : mac render crash

PeteS
04-09-2003, 08:24 PM
hi guys,

i got a question. I am running a fairly large scene on a mac. I can keyframe in layout with no problems at all, however, when i try to render, it nearly always crashes:mad: Has anyone had this problem? i don't think it's the scene. it is , however, fairly large. i know some people say to turn off the hub. does this work? if so, ho do i do it? I'm running jaguar on a dual 800. are there any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Pete

Ade
04-09-2003, 09:32 PM
low seg memory and medium enhance aa makes it crash sunmtims

PeteS
04-09-2003, 10:15 PM
i understand the medium AA. But doesn't osx not use segmented ram? where would you alocate it? by the way i have 1.25 GB of ram.

toby
04-10-2003, 12:18 AM
he's referring to "segment memory limit" in the camera properties.

generally you set it only as high as it needs to render your frame in one segment, any more is wasted. In some cases you may want to set it lower, for ex. if the scene needs more ram than you have.

Also try throwing away the preference files before starting up LW. If that doesn't work, try removing all objects and see if it renders, if it does, remove one object at a time to find out which one, etc.

are you using any plug-ins / which ones ?

nils
04-13-2003, 11:11 AM
I used to have similar problems, so i developed the habit of both saving the scene _and_ all objects immediately before hitting F10. And guess what happened: it never crashed again! Weird...
If that helps in your case as well, you might consider assigning eg. ctrl-s to 'save all objects'.

If you still want to turn off the Hub, here you go:

Locate the file 'LightWave cmdLine' in your programs folder and open it in a text editor. Insert '-0' (that is 'minus zero' without the quotation marks) just at the beginning. It should look like '-0 -c"path_to_your_preferences" (...)'. Save that file. Do the same with 'Modeler cmdLine'. Hub's gone!
Do you want it back? You guessed it: delete the '-0' bits in the cmdLine files.

Good luck!
nils

Ade
04-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by nils
I used to have similar problems, so i developed the habit of both saving the scene _and_ all objects immediately before hitting F10. And guess what happened: it never crashed again! Weird...
If that helps in your case as well, you might consider assigning eg. ctrl-s to 'save all objects'.

If you still want to turn off the Hub, here you go:

Locate the file 'LightWave cmdLine' in your programs folder and open it in a text editor. Insert '-0' (that is 'minus zero' without the quotation marks) just at the beginning. It should look like '-0 -c"path_to_your_preferences" (...)'. Save that file. Do the same with 'Modeler cmdLine'. Hub's gone!
Do you want it back? You guessed it: delete the '-0' bits in the cmdLine files.

Good luck!
nils

How strange, saving before a render makes it NOT crash the layout app...Cmon Newtek hope u are reading...

PeteS
04-13-2003, 06:30 PM
thanks for the help guys! since i shut off the hub, so far so good (crosses fingers)! I think it has to do with high poly count files. the only other question is how do i know how high to set my seg memory? i'd like to run as "tight" ,as i can for optimum performance.

Thanks again,
Pete

toby
04-13-2003, 06:44 PM
no two scenes use the same amount of ram, so start at something like 48, if it renders in one segment then lower it until it renders in two segments, then go back up just enough to render in one.

PeteS
04-13-2003, 07:00 PM
now i'm interested. because it renders in 2...i think. You mean on the render display it would say"1/2" then "2/2", then it goes to the next frame, right? since mine does that, maybe I'm not giving it enough of ram?

toby
04-13-2003, 07:24 PM
exactly! 1/2 means "first of two segments"

PeteS
04-13-2003, 07:49 PM
a million thanks toby! i'm reading up on it now in the manual. i tend not to mess with stuff i don't know about. now i feel confident, thanks to you guys. if i run into problems i'll nag you ; )
Pete

P.S.: thanks for the fast reply!