PDA

View Full Version : Avid/QuickTime Codec

Crosscut
04-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Hello,

I have a need to convert an animation to Avid/QuickTime codec. Any suggestions (short of buying an Avid system) for software to accomplish this?

Thanks

Mylenium
04-10-2003, 02:04 AM
Just download the codecs from http://www.avid.com and install them on your system - it's as simple as that. But be warned: You have to know the compression settings of the final Avid-project, otherwise your files will be useless for the editing process. I instead suggest to use a standard codec such as Animation or Photo-JPEG - it will allow you to control the files on your local system and will give the editor the flexibility to import it as needed.

Before you ask - yes, I have been working on our Avid and even though I'm not really good at editing it is a very simple thing to import files.

Mylenium

Crosscut
04-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info Mylenium.

I will try the standard QuickTime. However, I would also like to try the Avid codec. Could you be more specific as to the location of the downloadable Codec. I have looked several times without success.

Thanks again.

Mylenium
04-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Somewhére in the support/ download area.... Sorry, they keep changing that permanently so you have to look it up.... Had some difficulty as well the last time I checked. If you can't find it, you could also ask your Avid System reseller/ supplier or contact Avid directly.

Mylenium

VWTornado
04-10-2003, 02:24 PM
I agree with Mylenium...if you dont know exactly which settings the editor needs for the AVID codec, you could be making something he can't use, or will be of lesser quality than he wants. We have an AVID system here that I have been using for the past 3.5 years now...there are quite a few different settings you can export to (ABVB, Meridian, etc...). I say do what Mylenium said and export as an "Animation" or "None" codec. Pretty much any system can import those. "None" is the safest because its umcompressed with no codec so it can be read by any system that has quicktime, but usually the largest file size also. The advantage to rendering in the AVIDs native codec is that file sizes are usually a lot smaller cause they are somewhat compressed, and they will not need to be re-rendered by the AVID machine as they will need to do with another format.