PDA

View Full Version : DXF Import

rosferatu
11-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi all,
Just when i have one question solved (brilliantly I might add) i get a "potential" client who has sent me a DXF of a logo (basically text) made in C4D 6 as a DXF that they want me to try and do something "cool" with. now I cant even open the thing so maybe I am not cut out for this. Any suggestions???
thanks again for everything, you guys are the best,
-Ross

exit6
11-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Theoretically you should be able to open the file right in modeler, but I've had lots of stupid problems with CAD files. Check out this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=29446
Anyway, try opening it in modeler first.

Mylenium
11-22-2004, 01:22 PM
If possible, ask your client to have the object converted to polygons using "Current state to object" inside C4D and then save it as 3DS or OBJ. This will be less trouble.

Mylenium

Silkrooster
11-22-2004, 05:22 PM
When you load the dxf and you can see the file name in the upper right hand corner of modeler and you do not see an object, it is possible that the file is a 2d dxf file. LW can not read these, or at least in my experience they don't. It may be possible to load them into another program that can and then export them again as a dxf. I beleive DAZ Bryce can do that. On the other hand if you can import them into Bryce, you can use obj, dxf, 3ds or lwo5.
If the text is flat ask if they could send you an eps or ai file. If it is extruded, then have them try 3ds or obj.
If you have corel draw or adobe illustrator you should beable to import the dxf and export an eps file.
Silk

exit6
11-23-2004, 08:22 AM
When you load the dxf and you can see the file name in the upper right hand corner of modeler and you do not see an object, it is possible that the file is a 2d dxf file. LW can not read these, or at least in my experience they don't.
I just had this happen, and it turned out the object was there but it was in a scale of miles. I had to scale the thing down to like .01 percent. Also, all the lines were curves. Basically the thing was only marginally better than using an image as a backdrop and building from scratch.

rosferatu
11-23-2004, 09:07 AM
HI all,
Well I opened the DXF and i couldnt find it (which might have meant the scale was all wrong) but then i downloaded the plug in as suggested and it worked like a breeze. WOW! you know i was quite intimidated to ask questions on this board to start but now I am just so grateful to all of you. this is amazing.
thanks!!!!!
So I suggest the plug in if you need DXF files and I suggest I get a better client. ;-)
-Ross
thanks again!!!!

Lightwolf
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
So I suggest the plug in if you need DXF files and I suggest I get a better client. ;-)
...nah, you just need to charge him more ;)

And remember, next time some one asks the same question, you can answer it too :D

Cheers,
Mike - there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.