PDA

View Full Version : Uv Mapping program needed

Exception
11-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi there,

We have a problem here. Seems that modeler will not UV map certain complicated objects. It locks up in the process, and leaves us with unmapped objects. We therefore are in dire need of a UV mapping program which can:

- Preserve vertex maps
- Do some kind of atlas or other unwrapping projection
- Can read & save Lightwave files

I have tried:
- Unwrap3D (ruins model, no vertex colors)
- Uvmapper (no Lightwave import)
- Deep UV (no vertex colors)

All to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated, also perhaps in relation to the Uv mapping lockup problems.

hrgiger
11-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Have you tried mapping it in parts and then pasting it together into one map?

Thomas M.
11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Funny, yesterday evening I did have the same problem and wondered if there is a solution to this problem. In the end I did create 5 different UV atlas maps for my object, which look correct to me (almost). In surface editor choose a black object color and use all uv maps in additive mode. They must not overlap. No visible edges so far. Make sure to include the non-mapped polys in each map by adding them with make-uv. Scale them down and place them in a black image area. Making one big map isn't very wise, because you would need an enormous pixel amount for the image and surface baker seems to need longer than four times for 4x the image space.

Cheers
Thomas

Exception
11-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Yes tried that. 3, 5 and 10 parts. It always locks up in one area or another.

Of course also checked the model for errors, 2 point poly's, unified, etc. etc...
Also tried doing it in LW 7.5 instead of 8.0.1: no result.

I think I really need an extermal UV mapper

Dodgy
11-22-2004, 01:28 PM
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/products/lw8/plugins/uvedit/

Have you tried this?

Marcia
11-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Are there English translations for any of DStorm's documentation or read me files? My Japanese is a little rusty. ;)

Dodgy
11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Don't worry about that, it's very straightforward to use, pretty much the same hotkeys and terminology as in LW, it just has all the functions together.

Exception
11-23-2004, 08:08 AM
UV Edit Pro came with Lightwave as a present. It has no atlas mapping capability, only planar, sphere, box and cylinder. Nice plugin though, but useless for my cause...

peteb
11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Sorry to go off subject a little bit but is there a really good way of unwrapping UV's in lightwave so that they all keep their aspect ratio but are still kept in the seletion that you made. The problem I've got is my mesh is a little bit dense and I need to unwrap it so that all the polys face in one direction. I know about using a morph target but to unwrap say the ear is still a real pain. I thought of maybe making selction sets and then unwrapping them using atlas mode but this still spits out polys all over the place even if they belong to one selection. So what I'm wondering is, is there a tool like stretch where it brings them all flat onto one plane but instead of them overlapping like they would if they're facing away from the direction of the stretch. So the normal of the poly is to the left or right of the view you're in and by scaling inwards you're crushing it's depth by pulling all it's points onto the one plane.
What I thought would be good is if there was a stretch tool that treats all the polys as if the were stiff like wood. So when you scale them in they all have to unfold like they're on hinges and because they're solid they'll all keep they're correct size, do you get what I mean? Is there a tool or plugin that does this or another way of gettting round this problem.

Again sorry for the slight change of subject

Peter

Exception
12-02-2004, 05:17 AM
*Bump*

Does anyone have another suggestion for a UV mapping program? Please?

peteb
12-02-2004, 05:57 AM
I've just been trying out bodypaint 2 and that seems retty cool.

BeeVee
12-02-2004, 06:36 AM
I met these guys last week: http://polygonal.fr/unfold/unfold3d.htm

B

Dodgy
12-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Eur295.00 (203) for one cut down license? For just an unwrapping program?

Eur 2 950. 00 (2,034.74) for the full version?

Is that mental?

LittleFenris
12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
*Bump*

Does anyone have another suggestion for a UV mapping program? Please?

Maxon's Bodypaint R2:
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/bodypaint3d/bp3d_r2/bp3d_2_lw_e.html