PDA

View Full Version : Requesting advice from community on how to sell VT

mlowes
11-21-2004, 05:04 PM
To start I would like to thank everyone on these forums for their help, both from me passively reading helpful posts, and from answering my questions directly.

I would like to ask the toaster community for some advice on how best to sell my VT2. Sadly, I simply don't have the time anymore to do contract projects from home, which was the purpose I originally purchased the toaster for. For the last year I've been grinding away animating in lightwave at work for season 5 of Andromeda, while my VT gathers dust at home :(

The VT is really a great system, it just seems like such a waste for it just to sit there unused while I have other debts collecting interest waiting to be paid...

What would you folks suggest as price to ask for the VT2 considering the upgrade costs for going to VT4 from VT2 (600 to 800 I think depending on whether you want lightwave 8), verses the full cost of a VT4 (3700 to 4000 I think ?). I have the animators edition if that matters (includes full version of lightwave) I'm not selling my computer, just the VT2. Although I suppose I have 4 80GB harddrives and a 4 port 3ware Raid card up for grabs too.

If you were in my shoes would you opt towards just putting it on Ebay (I've never sold anything on ebay though, kind of nervous) or try and sell to someone in the online community ?

I'm not in a rush, so maybe through this forum I can find my VT a happy home. I hope this can be a good oportunity for someone wanting to save money getting a VT4.
Thanks everybody in advance,

-Michael Lowes

mlowes_at_telus_dot_net

PS I'm located in the Vancouver area, British Columbia, Canada
My apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot.

Jim Capillo
11-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Mike,

Most everyone here already has a VT, but you might get lucky and find someone who wants another.

Ebay is probably your best bet - it's pretty safe to do business on nowadays.

You could always check with the various dealers to see if they'd take it off your hands..... some do sell second hand stuff.

Good Luck !

mlowes
11-21-2004, 05:39 PM
That's true Jim, maybe I will need to end up selling on Ebay. Would anyone buy from a first time seller though ?
Once again, I find myself in the position of wishing I knew Ebay better, and had more experience with it. Any suggestions for a first time ebay seller, and of such a large item ?

Jim Capillo
11-21-2004, 05:57 PM
That's true Jim, maybe I will need to end up selling on Ebay. Would anyone buy from a first time seller though ?
Once again, I find myself in the position of wishing I knew Ebay better, and had more experience with it. Any suggestions for a first time ebay seller, and of such a large item ?

One thing that would make me feel a lot better about buying from a first time seller would be if the item had A LOT of pictures showing the item, including the serial number. And not cut and paste's from the Newtek site, either..... make it obvious in your photos that this is your board (show it on your kitchen table and with you holding it) and as I said, show the serial number up close.

There are also buyer protection plans you could offer - and make sure you include your website in the ad - that will reassure folks who are considering. You could also explain that your email to the eventual buyer will include your home phone number, so they can make contact directly.

Most realize that a guy with 50 positives can burn you as easily as one with a 1 or 0.

Jim_C
11-22-2004, 08:02 AM
I would post a For Sale here
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85
here
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VTNT/messages
here
http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/index-forum.cgi?forsale

Bet you would sell it within 2-3 weeks.

We may even be looking for our 4th in a couple months.

Jim

mlowes
11-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks Jim, I'll try posting a for sale on the sites you mentioned. Let me know if / when you're buying a fourth VT, perhaps I won't have sold it by then. I'm going to miss the prompt help I get on these forums, although I guess I'll still be fishing through the Lightwave forums because of work.

Again, thanks so much for the help everyone. Any suggestions on price ?

mlowes
11-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Man, I never even knew there was a forum group for buying or selling VT gear specifically. Can I request a moderator or administrator to delete this thread as I've now copied my post to the buy / sell VT related section.

Sorry everybody...
:eek: