PDA

View Full Version : Scratches and dings on chrome

Johnny
04-09-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm modeling a faucet and sink set..the metal is somewhere between chrome and gun metal, and I'm happy with the tone and subtle waviness I'm getting in the surface, but the surface itself is way to perfect for my taste..

even brand-new chrome has some imperfection, but I'm not sure how to get it in surface editor..I did a search on this subject, and turned up something about a plug in, but this is available only for PC (I'm an OSX user).

any thoughts on how to get some dings and scratches?

thanks for any help!

Johnny

faulknermano
04-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
I'm modeling a faucet and sink set..the metal is somewhere between chrome and gun metal, and I'm happy with the tone and subtle waviness I'm getting in the surface, but the surface itself is way to perfect for my taste..

even brand-new chrome has some imperfection, but I'm not sure how to get it in surface editor..I did a search on this subject, and turned up something about a plug in, but this is available only for PC (I'm an OSX user).

any thoughts on how to get some dings and scratches?

thanks for any help!

Johnny

sure: i think you'd like to use some fractal noise procedurals for bump maps. i like the turbulence procedural better though. put the scale to something real small. just tweak to taste. you will also need to control the parts where the procedural appears on parts of the surface. so i think you should put another fractal noise layer atop that and use the Alpha blending mode on it.

hope that gets you started well.

luka
04-09-2003, 09:18 PM
hey just to prove you can do stuff like that on OSX WITHOUT plugs here is an example I prepared earlier.
I just used fractal noise, very small values and the scratch map from the LW content image directory.

Johnny
04-09-2003, 09:32 PM
thanks for the tips...I'm off to experiment.

Luka..the pitting on that nut is beautiful...that's the kind of surface detail I DREAM of attaining..

I love the beauty of 'imperfection.'

Johnny

luka
04-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey thanks. Please post your renders when youthink your ready and we can collaborate.

Matt
04-10-2003, 02:13 AM
that is indeed very realistic luka, any chance you could share a little more info on the settings?

;)

loebek
04-10-2003, 02:39 AM
I like to see the wireframe from your lost screw.

I know its not a screw, but dont know the englisch word for it

cu
loebek

colkai
04-10-2003, 05:19 AM
I think the word you're after is Bolt.
But it ain't no bolt, if you check the interior of the nut, it appears smooth, no thread.

That notwithstanding, nice surfacing, very nice! :)

BeeVee
04-10-2003, 06:07 AM
I don't think the word he's after is actually 'bolt', since that's the thing that goes through this, this, oh why search for another word?

Nut.

:)

B

colkai
04-10-2003, 09:12 AM
It was when he said "lost screw", Luka already said it was a Nut, so I figured he was after the name of the bit that went through, of course, it *could* be a screw, ya know, with a square block, like the ones on gateposts and bedsteads? ;)

They got a name all of their own as well but .. :confused: