PDA

View Full Version : VT2 reboot problems

memerick
11-20-2004, 07:40 PM
My VT2 has started to reboot on me every time I open toaster edit or try changing my preferences. I get an stop code error 0x0000001E. My computer runs fine other wise. :confused: Can anybody help with this? I'm running build # 3890.

Jim Capillo
11-20-2004, 09:29 PM
My VT2 has started to reboot on me every time I open toaster edit or try changing my preferences. I get an stop code error 0x0000001E. My computer runs fine other wise. :confused: Can anybody help with this? I'm running build # 3890.

Try uninstalling then a clean install.

memerick
11-20-2004, 09:58 PM
I've done that 4 times already. Same thing keeps happening.

Jim Capillo
11-21-2004, 03:43 AM
I've done that 4 times already. Same thing keeps happening.

Have you done a regedit and made sure everything is cleaned out? Another possibility is a virus..... are you connected to the internet? Bad RAM..... check it?

memerick
11-21-2004, 10:18 AM
I did go thru the registry each time I reinstalled. I also did a memory check with Microsoft mem checker. I do not have my video computer hooked to the internet. When I install from my original VT2 disks, the program works fine. I start having problems after upgrading the software. I don't understand it because I've been working with the 3890 build for a long time. (thanks for your input Jim) :)

Paul Lara
11-22-2004, 06:52 AM
A computer spontaneously rebooting on you is generally indicative of hardware problems. Likely RAM.

Jim_C
11-22-2004, 08:19 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314451&Product=winxp
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/21972/21972.html

Jim Capillo
11-22-2004, 08:28 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314451&Product=winxp
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/21972/21972.html

Hmmmm....... according to these articles, it would seem like a video driver problem, given the three choices.

Make sure you are cleaning everything out.......

Try this procedure (thanks to Scott Bates !)

1. Uninstall VT2 or VT3.

2. Reboot.

3. Go to the C:\Winnt\ directory.

4. Use the Filemanager to find all instances of filenames containing "VTCAP*.*". There should be six of them. Delete them.

5. Search for RTVcodec.*. Delete it.

6. Search for "OEM*.*" with "Toaster" text inside. There should be three or four of them. Check the file with notepad to determine that they are Toaster install files then delete them.

7. Search for "vtoaster.sys" (should have been removed from C:\winnt\system32\ already, but may not have been). If found, delete it.

8. If you are familiar with the registry editor (regedit.exe), try to delete all Toaster keys (but be careful that's all you're deleting!). Search for "newtek", "VT", "toaster" and any other thing you can think of that is Newtek..... in regedit, of course.

9. Reboot - total shutdown and cold restart won't hurt.

Scott Bates
11-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the credit, again, Jim. I actually got it from Paul Lara who said he got it from "a user". Credit where credit's due even if we still don't know who the secret "user" was. ;)

Jim Capillo
11-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the credit, again, Jim. I actually got it from Paul Lara who said he got it from "a user". Credit where credit's due even if we still don't know who the secret "user" was. ;)

LOL :D

Even though we're one big family here trying to help each other out, it is still important to recognize one's contributions to the "family".

Thanks to Paul and the anon "user" too ! ;)

memerick
11-22-2004, 02:53 PM

Thanks everyone! I updated my nVIDIA G4 drivers and wal la! :D Back on track. Thanks for all your help.

wvp
11-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone! I updated my nVIDIA G4 drivers and wal la! :D Back on track. Thanks for all your help.
Pesky video drivers!
When in doubt, always make sure you got the latest video drivers.

Jim Capillo
11-22-2004, 06:34 PM

That is strange...... first time I've heard of the video drivers rebooting the computer. :eek: :confused:

JReble
11-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Actually this happens quite a bit. A lot of GeForce driver issues force a lock-up followed by a reboot about 30 seconds later, or some version of the same. This surprised me at first too, but I'm assuming this has to do with Windows XP since I didn't see that behavior much if ever in Win2000.

eon5
05-31-2005, 05:53 AM
i have exactly the same problem with a VT4-SP1 instalation over WinXP.

i format my disk and do a fresh install but

1- VT HARDWARE is NOT listed in hardware inventary

2- I install the software, VT4 dont open and tell "there is problem with your driver"

3- In safe mode the VT4 board IS listed but havent any driver

4- I force the driver installation and reboot the machine

5- I get an stop code error 0x0000001E...

every time i force OS to use vtdriver.sys i get a BSOD !