PDA

View Full Version : Professional, Student, or Amateur?

starbase1
04-09-2003, 04:50 PM
No particular reason, but I am rather curious...

How many of us here are graphics professionals, how many keen amateurs, and how many students? (The last category is intended to catch those who not professional yet, but are serious about becoming professional).

Poll attached if I get things right.

I'm assuming with the price of the software, you are pretty keen to do this for fun!

And if anyone is wondering, I am amateur, and proud of it.

Nick

robewil
04-09-2003, 04:56 PM
I would have used the word "Hobbyist" instead of "Amateur". Especially since some of the work I've seen from people who don't use Lightwave for a living wouldn't deserve to be called amateur.

starbase1
04-09-2003, 05:07 PM
My first intelectual love was Astronomy - I consider the label amateur something to be proud of!

:p

Rory_L
04-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Both of the first two: paid to do it through the week; do it for the love of it at the weekend. :)

R

hrgiger
04-10-2003, 12:47 PM
You should have added "Amateur (or hobbyist) who wants to become a professional. That's where I fall in.

starbase1
04-10-2003, 12:55 PM
That was meant to be included in the last option, ie formal student or training in some way with a view to becoming professional.

Nick

hrgiger
04-10-2003, 05:18 PM
But see, I'm not a student anywhere, and I don't plan to be. Not really a requirement for a job. Get out of school, take your diploma and hand it to pixar. They'll hand it right back without taking a single glance at it and want to see your portfolio/demo reel.

There's something to be said about being a self-taught artist.

kevman3d
04-12-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm with Rory_L - Do it for work, and do it for Love! :)

How about Teach/Support LightWave - Some people only use LW for teaching purposes. I wouldn't class that in the 'professional' section, but its a type of user in itself. :)

Mike Pauza
04-12-2003, 10:44 AM
I use LW a tiny bit professionally, but hope to do it full time soon.

Epita
04-12-2003, 11:55 AM
well, im a student but im studying to take engineering for uni (aeronautical) and then go on to be a graphics dude. i will be self tought and i hope i can get a job somewhere!

Epita

Extent
04-12-2003, 08:52 PM
hrgiger I'm with you 100%, I'm in the exact same boat :thubsup: