PDA

View Full Version : Changes from olden times

exit6
11-20-2004, 11:06 AM
I used Lightwave every day years ago, like version 4, and they've made some great advances but some things that used to be easy seem overly difficult now, and I'm wondering if some features just got remapped or something. For example, when you set a keyframe in olden times, you could press "s" on the keyboard and the spline settings would pop up, and you could put in your numbers right there. Now the only way I know to do this is by going in to the graph editor. Also, if I had a light or something and I wanted to reset it's values and parent it to a null, I could open up the "motion" editor and save the motion file, then reset the item's position, parent it to the null, and load the motion file into the null's motion editor. Now I don't even know how to do this. So now I want to tranfer an item's position to another's, and I have to do it by hand. I know NT has provided a way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Third, where's the velocity curve? I used to smooth out motions by opening the velocity curve and tweaking my spline settings there, but no more.
Thanks in advance -- I'm going to write down and type in some values now.

Axis3d
11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Yes, I remember years ago, when Newtek started moving and hiding things we frequently used. As far as Tension, Continuity, and Bias goes:

At the bottom of the Modify list you will find Move TCB. This allows you to set the biases discussed in the Graph Editor section of the manual, but from Layout, rather than having to visit the Graph Editor itself. To use it, move to a keyframe, click on the Move TCB tool and you will notice that the lower left corner now displays T, C, B instead of the more familiar X, Y, Z or H, P, B.

You can enter figures in here for what you wish your TCB settings to be, or you can use the mouse:

LMB: Moving left and right alters the Tension
Ctrl-LMB: Moving left and right controls the Continuity
RMB: Moving left and right controls the Bias

As far as the Load Motion and Save Motion function which used to be in the Motion Panel:

You will need to remap this to somewhere convenient. I put it into my Ctrl +Shift LMB popup menu.
In Layout, go to Edit > Edit Menu Layout.
In the menu that opens up, on the left side, look under Motion.
Hilight Load Motion File and Save Motion File and add them as buttons to somewhere you want. I put them in the Left Mouse Button Menu.

The Graph Editor is where you perform all spline functions regarding smoothing and such. There are some new functions for spline smoothing such as Hermite and Bezier in stead of just TCB.

Hope this helps.

exit6
11-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Wow, thanks alot, seriously. It would have taken forever for me to find that stuff!