PDA

View Full Version : VT4 Filebin bugs?

inquisitive
11-20-2004, 03:26 AM
Hi,

As I reading the manual and familiarizing myself with VT4, I came across the following:

Page 5.2
To copy the folder press control and click and drag folder.

In windows OS if a file is in drive C and you drag it into drive G, it copies the file. (press shift drag moves the file)
In VT4 if a file is in drive C and you drag it into drive G via filebin it ** moves ** the file.

If you use control key and drag then it copies it.

It seems VT4 sees all drives as the same (and it just moves file unless you click on control)

I can see how one could not be paying attention, moving a project from one drive to the other thinking one is making a copy of it (like all of us are used to doing it in windows) then at some point in the future delete the folder only to find out the folder was never copied (unless you click on control key first)

Why is this behaving different than windows? ie what is the advantage?

2nd Issue.
Clip was initially dragged from C to G (moved) and when i tried to move it back to C from within VT4 it told me the file was in use. So i copied it back to C then tried to delete the one in G and it still failed to be deleted. Tried it a second time and got the same response.
Copied a clip from C to G (by pressing Control key then drag) then tried to delete it from G it wouldnt allow it.
Open Windows file explorer when VT4 is running, tried to delete the file that way, it failed.

The only way to delete the file was to quit VT4 and then use windows file explorer to remove the file.

This is a brand new install (one day old) and no modifications to any files or settings. (other than those suggested via the manual.)

Feature or Bug?

:)

Scott Bates
11-20-2004, 08:07 AM
May be the same thing going on, but I've discovered in VT[4], that when I'm capturing, if I abort a capture and want to start over using the same file name I cannot delete the aborted file from the Capture file bin, it's in use. This is a change from VT[3] when I could delete files from the capture bin. I'd like that capability back ... please. :(

Jim Capillo
11-20-2004, 09:42 AM
May be the same thing going on, but I've discovered in VT[4], that when I'm capturing, if I abort a capture and want to start over using the same file name I cannot delete the aborted file from the Capture file bin, it's in use. This is a change from VT[3] when I could delete files from the capture bin. I'd like that capability back ... please. :(

It seems that you can't delete anything anymore until the VT is shut down - then you have to go into the Windoze folder and do it.

I don't like this, either. It is a PITA to get rid of files that I actually want to get rid of.

Sort of like trying to get out of the backseats of cars that have the child locks on.... :mad:

RayLarson
11-20-2004, 01:31 PM
PITA is excatly the word for it.......I, too, am annoyed by it :mad:

ScorpioProd
11-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Oh yeah, I hit this many times as well, it is a PITA.

I think it's something to do with it trying to render the audio in the background or something.

Scott Bates
11-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Don't think it's much to do with audio, my latest failed attempt was when capturing old (silent) home movies, the only noise was the projector and that wasn't being recorded.

inquisitive
11-20-2004, 06:17 PM
in my particular experience it was simply moving a file from one file bin in C to a file bin in G drives. Not even being placed in VT-Edit, this is probably a bug.

DonN
11-21-2004, 01:12 PM
I know this dumb - file in use even when its not - behavior has been a FEATURE of VTx forever.
I hope it is fised real soon.
Don

inquisitive
11-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I ttried it again and was able to move file from C: to G: and then back to C: and it worked. During the same session, I tried to overwrite the C: file with the G: file.. that didnt work though.

Strange that the delete file problem only happens sometimes.

DonN
11-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Those files that VTx will balk at deleting from a Filebin, "file in use...", can be deleted with Windows Explorer. As long as the file is <really> not in use in VTx.
Quickly access WE with Cmd-e, nav to the folder and delete (copy or move, rename) the file.
Don

Jim Capillo
11-29-2004, 04:06 AM
Those files that VTx will balk at deleting from a Filebin, "file in use...", can be deleted with Windows Explorer. As long as the file is <really> not in use in VTx.
Quickly access WE with Cmd-e, nav to the folder and delete (copy or move, rename) the file.
Don

That's an extra step I don't want to do. :mad:

If I decide what I recorded is not what I want/need or even want to add a few more seconds to it, I simply want to be able to right click and select delete.

Period.