PDA

View Full Version : LW Has Gone to Pot on my System

riki
11-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Something seriously messed up with Lightwave on my System.

I noticed a few days ago, the Hub stopped working, I don't remember clearly what happened if Modeler unexpectedly Quit. But next time I tried to relaunch Modeler the Hub wasn't responding.

Today I deleted all Lightwave APPs and Preferences from my system, did a clean install of 8 then upgraded to 8.01. Now when I lanch Modeler the Hub Launches, then Modeler crashes (which it's been doing frequently lately). I quit the Hub. repeat then crash etc etc until eventually the Hub doesn't boot and the n Modeler is running in Discovery Edition.

I restart my computer and Launch Modeler, first try it works, now launch Layout, okay Layout is running in Discovery Edition, Modeler is running as per-normal.

riki
11-19-2004, 08:54 PM
edit: seems to be working okay at the moment.

Hoopti
11-19-2004, 11:02 PM
If it's only running in discovery mode, my first suspect would be your dongle.

blabberlicious
11-20-2004, 03:38 AM
Sorry for your (our) troubles.

This has been happening to me ever since 8.01. Modeler crashes after trying to access a standard LW Plugins.

As for Layout - well I won't go there...too grim.

If you look, you'll see I posted something about this in the LW8 bugs list.

Something is seriously affecting stability, and (again) I hope that it's been picked up - because I fear it's a subtle combination of corrupted .config writing and flawed OSX implementation.

The only upside to things is that when Layout does burn out - I'm left with the object in modeler - updated. So at least I can save out the changed version, if I was texturing.

But that's a small consolation for such poor stability.

Not wishing to be at all negative (honestly)- but I will start 2 new threads in the mac forum afters 8.2's release' - just to make it easy to pick up and post Bug reports specific to the release.

Thread 1 Whats' Been Fixed in 8.2
Thread 2 What's Still Broken in 8.2

I'll ask Chuck if he can make the Threads 'Sticky'. I hope we'll get a fixed list in 8.2, but it often what's NOT listed that causes the most concern :-)

We really need to get our act together and make sure NT have their eye on the ball, otherwise repairing long standing issues will lose out to all the other promised developments.

munky
11-20-2004, 04:36 AM
Hi there Steve,

This will be no consellation but I have exactly the same spec mac as you in terms of os and hardware and I'm not getting the same problems that you are, this could be because I'm not using the same lightwave tools that you are or something. But if you tell me what is crashing you out I could try it on my mac to see if it's the same.

regards

paul

G4 dp 1ghz 1.5 gb ram gfarce4 Ti OSX 10.3.5

Chazz
11-20-2004, 06:42 AM
You guys that are having all this trouble...have you tried running Techtool or something to check your RAM?

A lot of us are having no troubles at all with 8.0 (knock on wood) and repeated crashing sounds like a classic case of bad RAM. OSX is very picky about what kind of RAM you put in your machine. It's might not be Lightwave that's causing your problems.

blabberlicious
11-20-2004, 08:20 AM
You guys that are having all this trouble...have you tried running Techtool or something to check your RAM?

A lot of us are having no troubles at all with 8.0 (knock on wood) and repeated crashing sounds like a classic case of bad RAM. OSX is very picky about what kind of RAM you put in your machine. It's might not be Lightwave that's causing your problems.

LOL! Bad ram?

I use Cinema4D - which niftily manages to avoid my bad ram.

How those clever Germans manage that???

After 2 months, I've been unable to crash C4D.

I also use a Powerbook, which does the same thing with LW....

To repeat. This didn't happen in Version 8, and apart from upgrading to 10.3.6, nothing changed on either of my systems.

:-)

Cheers

blabberlicious
11-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Hi Munky:

Thanks!

Some of the annoying HUB issues are exactly as Riki has described. A selection of the others:

1. Scene open in Layout , adjusting vertex maps in in Modeler to an object in the scene. While in modeler, layout crashes. (This one's a killer, as I have to close down both apps and the hub and relaunch to get the Hub back in sync)

2. Layout crashing while adjusting images in Image Editor - particularly showing/hide alpha channel, or adjusting brightness, etc using sliders.

3. Unable to write .MDD file using the MD Scan & MD PLug displacement plugins.

4. Layout crashes doing incremental save, leaving a 0k scene fike (nasty). This has ONLY every happened to me since LW8.01.

5. Modeler: No blue circular Guides when you RMB with a Drag-type Tool with Point Radial Selected. SimilarGuide also missing Vertex Paint Tool (RMB to alter size)

6. Layout almost NEVER closes down properly. I usually get the 'system unexpectedly quit' dialogue.

I suspect 6. is related to the problems with config files - and is probably a symptom of a wider problem with writing configs to the HD.

Thanks.

munky
11-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi Steve,

No to
1,2,3,and (6 although layout is a bit more prone to bugging out than it was)
I haven't tried 4

yes to 5

maybe my mac is in the right Feng Shui position or on a lay line

I'm just sticking everything in my new G5 so I'll see what pops up in that

regards

paul

riki
11-20-2004, 05:29 PM
6. Layout almost NEVER closes down properly. I usually get the 'system unexpectedly quit' dialogue.

Yeah I've been continually plague with this problem. It hasn't happened yet since I did a reinstall. Try not clicking on the desktop while it does it's shut down dance. It sometimes helps. I'm currently sticking with 8, not going tyo risk installing 8.0.1 I've already done 3 clean installs this week.