PDA

View Full Version : Avid putting glows on....

chribba
04-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Dont get me wrong here, i really dont like Avid but it seams like they are getting ahead again...

This new system is Avid's most powerful, compatible, highest-quality Media Composer system, with revolutionary new Adrenaline hardware - part of Avid's new family of purpose-built Digital Nonlinear Accelerators, or Avid DNA™

Are Toaster driving in the same lane as Avid?

Ideas?

Chribba

Jim Capillo
04-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Who cares? I could buy 10 fully blown VT[3]'s for what they are asking for one of those units.

The Elitest Snob Editors will love it, though ! :p

Rich Deustachio
04-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by chribba

NewTek is flying above and ahead of the Avid lane.

SBowie
04-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Dont get me wrong here, i really dont like Avid ... Uh-huh ...

This new system is Avid's most powerful, compatible, highest-quality Media Composer system, with revolutionary new Adrenaline hardware - part of Avid's new family of purpose-built Digital Nonlinear Accelerators, or Avid DNA™ So their previous stuff was less powerful, not so compatible, lower quality, recidivist and mundane?

Have their previous offerings been cast out of the family for these shortcomings? Sad, but I'm not really surprised, in view of their not having been purpose-built like this new stuff reportedly is. Kind of funny really, you'd think it would have been.

Are Toaster driving in the same lane as Avid? If so, Avid better pull off to the side or they'll be roadkill. :-)

Patrick Flasch
04-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Come on guys...

This forum is to open up everyone to new thoughts and ideas! Sarcasm isn't needed!!

The question is legit... Avid has put another piece of hardware out there to help the INDUSTRY... OUR industry! It doesn't matter if you don't like Avid... but after all, they are the LEADING company in the industry (not my opinion... look up the facts!) They are involved in more films, commercials, short and long form HD, SD projects etc than VT will EVER lend their name too!!

Open your minds a little... afterall, ANYTHING that a company like Avid does, and does well, will filter down to other products!!

Another product is Apple's Final Cut 4, about to be released... check out what IT can do!
Talk about a GREAT CG system... it's BUILT IN, and works with just a couple of mouse clicks!

I am an Avid, FCP & VT editor! EVERY product has strengths and weaknesses... one products' strengths spurs the competition to do something similar, or maybe better, in the their next upgrade!
I've used an effect etc. in one app, and then figured out how to do a similar thing in another app!

EMBRACE THE COMPETITION!!! They are probably where a lot of the new improvements in YOUR next product release will come from!!

Just my 2 cents...

Patrick

ted
04-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Chribba, I saw Avid's demo. They chose their words VERY carefully when talking about "real time". But also still mentioned rendering a lot.

I'll agree that Avid has more maturity. Especially having multiple ways to do the same thing. After all, it's several versions ahead.
I watched Avid, Final Cut Pro and about 3 companies demo’s. I didn't see much, other then extra menu options, that impressed me.

The key to any system is, does it do what you need?

Funny thing was, none of the other systems had any of the "Live" capabilities VT3 does.

With that said, I'll mention price. I'm able to equip two edit bays and a system at home for what the next cheapest solution ran. And still not loose anything I need in my daily productions.

Just my observations from 3 days at NAB.

Jim Capillo
04-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Well, after all, this is not a non-specific manufacturer's site..... this is a Newtek site. There are plenty of places on the web to debate the strengths and weaknesses of each system.

Try even mentioning a Newtek product over at the Globalstreams site - it will be removed and you will be banned from posting.

Now there's a glowing First Amendment endorsement :rolleyes:

Brian Peterson
04-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Try even mentioning a Newtek product over at the Globalstreams site - it will be removed and you will be banned from posting.

Thanks Jim for mentioning the old Trinity, I've been meaning to visit their site and see the suffering. You see that the "upgrade" has dropped to $1200? :D You may be banned from their chat groups, but Ted is now throwing rockin' parties for Newtek. Ah for the good ol' days over at T Central... NOT! :cool:

Yah, Avid is choking on Newtek's dust. Hear those tires squeal! :cool:

Now when it comes to filtering down... Has anyone seen the film graim demoed? I've seen nothing on video stream about it.

SBowie
04-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Flasch
Come on guys...

This forum is to open up everyone to new thoughts and ideas! Sarcasm isn't needed!!

The question is legit... I'm not convinced of that at all, as you can likely tell.

The original post says nothing specific whatever about any particular aspect of the unspecified Avid product. It offers no hint of why anyone might find it superior. It reads precisely like a paragraph from an Avid promo. Why would that be?

In fact, it gives every evidence of not being legit.

Patrick Flasch
04-10-2003, 05:08 PM
OK Steve... point taken.

But I still think we shouldn't poo poo any competition (Yes, I realize that this is a NewTek discussion group!) because competition does us ALL good!!

As for Avid, I think that (for the money) they are doing the right move for them! Possibly the industry will follow... and that is to get ALL of the boards out of the RF ridden box, and make the actual computer less important. (If any has an Avid Media Composer etc., they know that Avid will only support $$$$ "qualified" systems!)
If you can reduce most of the outside influence (processor type/speed, RAM amount, video card etc.) you can open your market to a larger audience...
The computer then becomes only the controller... and not the processor!!

Just an idea...

Patrick

SBowie
04-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Flasch
But I still think we shouldn't poo poo any competition... Got no issues with competition, Patrick. Many of the best ideas are ... errr... "appropriated" :-)

Jim Capillo
04-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
Thanks Jim for mentioning the old Trinity, I've been meaning to visit their site and see the suffering. You see that the "upgrade" has dropped to $1200? :D You may be banned from their chat groups, but Ted is now throwing rockin' parties for Newtek. Ah for the good ol' days over at T Central... NOT! :cool:

Yeah, it's pretty sad over there - only a few posts every week, always from the same dozen posters or so and very little GS participation....... you'll certainly never see the head of R&D (is there even one? :p ) mingling with the "common folk" like Andrew does. They must be up against the wall to lower the price to $1200 - I imagine the low cost solutions that blow their doors off feature/performance wise must be killing them.

Glad I went with Newtek.

Anyone visit the GS booth at NAB?

tmon
04-10-2003, 09:51 PM
I believe that it is very important for the T[X] community to recognize what the "competition" is doing, insofar as there are areas where competition exists. For example AFAIK, AVID doesn't live switch, nor does it webstream out of the box. I don't think it has anything like the paint program that Aura is, nor one of my fave weapons, clip inherit. And the cost for D1 uncompressed realtime? Where does AVID ($) stand on that?

The area where I think we can learn the most from is the NLE toolset, which after all, has a few more years of work done on it.
Since I haven't worked on an AVID in quite a while, I'd be interested to hear an updated list of their featureset benefits.

From what I do know, rock solid, frame accurate editing, insert and assemble edit to tape, selectable SMPTE timeline formats, Advanced Authoring Format metadata capabilities, window dubbing etc., are some of the things that keep the grossly overpriced AVID NLE a bit ahead of the young TEd in the minds of many editors, who aren't concerned with live switching, webstreaming and such...but the NewTekkians are working on these features as we type.

I didn't get to hang out at AVID or FCP's presentations as much as I wanted to because I was bogged down in Data Asset Management investigation. I was curious about AVID's DNA and also how FCP was integrating Shake and India Pro into the workflow, as well as curious about HD development. What did people here witness? Oh, and what about 844X?

Jim Capillo
04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by taiji

Oh, and what about 844X?

Well, they're offering real time blur for only $12,000

What a joke.........

tmon
04-10-2003, 10:23 PM
dpsVelocityQ 8.2 and dpsVelocity 8.2 will both be offering AAF and OMF import and export.

eon5
04-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi

Its possible to use VT2/3 with AvidXpress (or DV version)

Tkx in advance

Jim Capillo
04-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Why?

videoguy
04-11-2003, 02:02 PM
i have been reading on avids forums all there dv usesrs think that mojo thingy is a toy and no real professional would use it , i cant belive i am hearing this from avid users normally they dont care how bad avid products are they stand by them just becasue there avid