PDA

View Full Version : Really basic ParticleFX question

KeenanCrane
11-19-2004, 11:34 AM
How do I get them to show up when I render??? I.e., what do I use to describe the appearance.
Thanks

objuan
11-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Hyper Voxels, under the scene tab. Open up this panel, double click on your particle object to activate it, and play around for the next 3 weeks... You can make them cloudy, or liquidy blobs, or whatever sprite you want.

There's also a way to render them as just points (with particle motion blur, good for star zooms) but I lost that method after LW 6.
Does anyone know how to do that now?

Dodgy
11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
You can add a partigon emitter from the Add Emitter command, or you can add a Partigon object, then add the emitter plugin to it in the Object propeties>custom tab.

KeenanCrane
11-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info -- I actually ended up using the FX Linker to instantiate a model at each particle. Worked well for what I was doing (snowflakes), though Hypervoxels looks good for a bunch of other effects.

One question I have: is it possible to use a model for each particle but not have it show up in the scene graph? I kept on running into a hard limit of 1024 models in the scene, plus it's annoying to have to save/load/navigate through all those clones of the model.

Dodgy
11-23-2004, 03:29 AM
You can.... But you need to get HDInstance, from www.happy-digital.com. This does proper instancing in layout.

KeenanCrane
11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the link -- anyone know of a solution for the Mac?

Lightwolf
11-23-2004, 09:50 AM
You can also up the limit for object in your lw8.cfg . There should be details in the manual.

Of course, for snowflakes, you might want to try HV Sprites with a bunch of different images.

Cheers,
Mike