PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Video

Tommy
04-09-2003, 04:29 PM
I am trying to figure out how much bandwidth would be required to stream a live or prerecorded TV show out to the internet.

Can I get by with just a cable modem??

djlithium
04-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi Tommy.
While I am hoping to have an article out soon dealing with this exact topic, I will give you some things to think about.

Your cable modem can stream a single video stream out to a single client or to a WMS or QT or Real server depending on what you are doing.

Some factors you need to take into account however are as follows.

1. What is the actual upstream capability of your connection? Do you have a real cable modem connection from an ISP that doesn't suck or are you cut off at the knees at 256kbps upstream or even worse? If you don't know phone your ISP. If they start playing head games with you, well.. switch ISPs. Your cable modem should have at least a 1MB upstream capability. IF they don't give you this ask them what you are paying for. Cable modem service is not DSL and should be equal up and down in speed. IF they don't provide you with this you are getting ripped off.

2. What is your target audience?

3. What is the content of your video?

Now, the last two questions and the answers that I come up with may stun you. IF your target audience is in dial up... don't bother at all (I get into this heavily in my article). If you are streaming to a WM server and you are relaying to other cable or dsl connected clients... what do you want... clear picture or fast frame rate or a nice mix of both?

If the answer is the mix, you might be suprised how much you can actually get away with for FPS, image quality and stability if you do things right.

If you need more information on custom settings and network info, drop me a line at [email protected]

You might want to check out some of our demo videos there.
I am moving some links around at the moment but you will probably get some examples. If you need more examples, I have private area you can check out.

Cheers.

Kel.