PDA

View Full Version : Newbie at dynamics needs smoke help

DelendaMaximus
11-18-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm working on a title sequence and my plan was to have white smoke come from emitter(s) under the title. I would then use the sequence in reverse to make it look like the title and smoke/fog was being sucked into nothingness.

My efforts at smoke have produced little puffballs instead of the the streamy wispy look I wanted. If I add more particles, it ends up looking like a giant bed of dirty cotton. Explosions are 0 but I'm not sure what will give me a wispy look instead of a puffy look. Any help will be appreciated.

objuan
11-19-2004, 02:05 PM
streching the voxels along their velocity or y might help.

if you have AE or something like it, you can render your little puffs moving slow, and then do a "time echo" or "wide time" effect to trail them out

WCameron
11-20-2004, 06:20 PM
streching the voxels along their velocity or y might help.

if you have AE or something like it, you can render your little puffs moving slow, and then do a "time echo" or "wide time" effect to trail them out

theres also a scene in the content directory that you can take apart:

Content\Scenes\_Features\Volumetrics\HyperVoxels\C himney_All.lws

wich shows 7 kinds of billowy smoke using Hypervoxels.

- Will.

DelendaMaximus
11-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Wcameron, Thanks very much, I will give that a try. We were laughing so hard at our pitiful attempts at smoke, that it looked like an old Volvo with an oil leak problem. When frustrated, humor is a useful therapy.

WCameron
11-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Wcameron, Thanks very much, I will give that a try. We were laughing so hard at our pitiful attempts at smoke, that it looked like an old Volvo with an oil leak problem. When frustrated, humor is a useful therapy.

well keep it in your archive, you never know when you'll actually NEED
smoke from an old volvo with an oil leak problem :-)

as an aside i thnk most of the smoke examples in the chimney scene use volume as the hv setting, setting it to sprite with the max number of slices can give you a
more whispy sort of smoke.

someplace in the content there should be a cigarette scene as well, i think that one used sprite mode...

- Will.