PDA

View Full Version : Is VT[4] batch capture broke?

SCS
11-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I apologize for the uber-large picture, but I wanted to make sure the details came through...

First:
The top captures are from DPS' V-Scope and they do not have the "lines" that the VT-Scopes display - is this normal?

Second:
I tried 2 decks, a Beta PVW-2800 and SVHS BRS-800 both decks are controlled correctly. When I click Mark In, the current time code goes into the Mark Out box and when I click Mark Out it gets stuck on...

bradl
11-19-2004, 02:24 PM
First:
The top captures are from DPS' V-Scope and they do not have the "lines" that the VT-Scopes display - is this normal?

Second:
I tried 2 decks, a Beta PVW-2800 and SVHS BRS-800 both decks are controlled correctly. When I click Mark In, the current time code goes into the Mark Out box and when I click Mark Out it gets stuck on...First: I always considered the lines a product of a poor display (making it faster most likely) in software of the scopes.

Second: I have the same problem in Batch Capture in VT4. Mark In/Out is definitely broken. I had to hand enter all TC's.

SCS
11-19-2004, 05:41 PM
First:

The term "Broadcast" is frequently used in connection with this gear - and that display ain' t Broadcast... (Other VGA on-screen scopes seem to have avoided this problem).

Second:

Thanks for verifying it's not just me! I also noticed when I entered the In/Outs manually and then batch-captured the clip (via a timecoded tape with burn-in), the VT reports the correct TC captured - unfortunately it doesn't capture exactly at my specified In/Out points (I have clip padding turned off). I called Newtek and they said they were aware of some batch capture problems, but would not say when they would be fixed.

Scott Bates
11-19-2004, 08:18 PM
FWIW I've never seen vertical lines like that on the VT scopes here in any of the VT versions. Have yours always been like that or is it a recent problem? You might try Reset Configs and see if that clears it up. Problem with your video card or drivers maybe?

SCS
11-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Nope, been there since I bought a VT[2]... seems only to happen when the Waveform or Vectorscope is trying to display chroma info... If I select Luminance (Y) only, the 'artifacting' dissappears.

Reset, Reinstalled, updated etc. -- no difference.

I'm using an nVidia geForce 5600.

JReble
11-20-2004, 04:44 AM
I've always seen the lines as you describe in the waveform where chroma info is concerned. Hasn't been a problem for me, but it would be better without them. They don't show up on my external scopes, so I'm pretty sure it's not a signal in the video, but rather a waveform display issue. And regarding the "broadcast" moniker, a person in broadcasting would need external scopes. I've always seen any PC generated virtual scopes to be simply a nice aid, but never a substitute for a good set of external scopes. If you're transmitting a feed for delivery to anything but a web browser and can't look at signals generated external of your computer, you're in trouble.

Jim Capillo
11-20-2004, 06:08 AM
What Jeff said...... while the internal scopes are a rough guideline, they are no substitute for external displays. That is, if you need to conform to broadcast specs (or even cable :rolleyes: ), you should use industry standard scopes. I do. :eek: