PDA

View Full Version : Particles along a curve

exit6
11-18-2004, 06:11 PM
A competing and not as cool piece of software that will remain nameless has a feature where you can make a curve and have particles run along it. You can also grab a point on the curve and scale it, and the particles will adjust, like a bulge in a garden hose. Is this something we can do with LightWave as well?

Silkrooster
11-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Sure can, check out the video on growing a vine using a spline and particles.Vine grow video (http://www.kurvstudios.com/free_tutorials/section2/Growing_Vine.mov)
Silk

Silkrooster
11-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Here is my version of the vine. Lots of fun making.
Silk

Hervé
11-18-2004, 11:20 PM
there is a drag wind in the dynamic section... but No clue on how that works... :D

exit6
11-19-2004, 03:05 PM
ure can, check out the video on growing a vine using a spline and particles.
This is really cool but not what I mean. Imagine you have a pipe, and you want smoke to flow through the pipe, as opposed to the vine thing where the particles go like single file. This evil and uncool competitor has a jobby where the particles run along the curve's path, and you can scale the path's vertices and the particles behave like the pipe is either fatter or skinnier.

Axis3d
11-19-2004, 03:35 PM
You can use the Path wind function of a wind effector. Then, you can animate any curve you want and the particles will flow along the curve. Not sure if you can scale the particles along the curve. But you can add an attractor or scatter one and put it in their path and the particles should flow around it.

Silkrooster
11-19-2004, 04:30 PM
By using Hard FX on the particles and collision object on the pipe. You can make the particles follow through the pipe. So the size of the pipe will effect the particles traveling through it. To adjust the size each particle you can use a gradient and particle age.
Also you could still use the vine theory. By placing a single spline inside the pipe and allow the particle to travel it. And use particle age on a gradient to adjust the size.
Silk

Dodgy
11-19-2004, 05:06 PM
You can do exactly the same as the competitor using the Wind object. Set Wind mode to Path, and key frame it along the route you want the particles to take. Change 'Size effect' to Region and key frame the size to where you want it to pinch etc. The particles will follow it along the path and pull together where it pinches.

exit6
11-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Cool, that's what I'm talking about. It's the wind emmitter, which I hadn't tried. The more stuff I learn about LW, the fewer features it's lame but more expensive competitor has up on it.

exit6
11-21-2004, 09:12 AM
You can do exactly the same as the competitor using the Wind object. Set Wind mode to Path, and key frame it along the route you want the particles to take. Change 'Size effect' to Region and key frame the size to where you want it to pinch etc. The particles will follow it along the path and pull together where it pinches.
Any tutorials around for this? I can't make it work.

Dodgy
11-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Check out this scene: