PDA

View Full Version : Protection issues

johnos
11-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Hi
Dont know if this is the right forum to post but if please advise where it should go.

I'm in a catch 22 trying to promote LW to students.

We a suite of G5's. We have 90 machines and five licences for lightwave and these are on five specific machines available to 3rd years only. As I understand it LW uses a text file which ties the dongle to that particular machine.

I would like LW to be on all machines available to anyone one with a passion for 3D and have the dongles booked out by students as and when they are required. (hot swoping dongles?)

Because not many are using it we are stuck with v7 and a limited number of licences. Unless I can find a way of getting it out into the main suite and raising the usage I dont have any hope of persuading the management that it is a valuable part of the curriculum and that they should buy more copies

Is there any way to swop dongles from machine to machine?

Thanks

John

ned
11-18-2004, 02:49 PM
I believe this works:

go to each machine. Copy the number in license.key (in programs folder on PCs) from each machine to all other machines. So that license.key on all machines has all 5 license numbers. Then any of the 5 dongles will work on any of the machines.

HOWEVER, I'm don't know if this follows the language of the license strictly. I believe the license prohibits you from installing LW on more than one machine rather than USING it on more than one machine. But since no more than 5 students can use the product at one time it should be in spirit, following the license.

johnos
11-18-2004, 02:58 PM
I belive the technician has tried this but says it didnt work. Newtek started shipping This "duo" thing after we bought ours which included Mac and PC versions but do later dongles allow you to register the licence to the dongle and move between platforms/machines? - Steinbergs cubase adds licences to the dongle itself - I can swop to a PC if I want as easy as pie - maybe we are suffering from old technology?

Draven
11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
If you add the liscence key numbers to the file, and have that file available to all machines, those hardware keys should work on any machine in the lab. If he doesn't know how to do it, he should call tech support.

johnos
11-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that I'll push a little harder

riki
11-18-2004, 05:07 PM
I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but it sounds like the best option would be to put a really strong case together for bulk buying a number of licences and setting it up properly. I know my old Uni was really good at spending up big in the Arts Technology area, not just for the core degree students but also for fee paying short course students that they'd pull over the summer holidays.

BeeVee
11-19-2004, 08:42 AM
The dongle will report a different ID code depending on whether it's connected to a PC or a Mac, but a license.key file can contain as many permanent license keys as you like, of both platforms. This means that even if you had 100 licences of LightWave and a mixed lab of PCs and Macs ANY of your dongles can be put on ANY of these machines if they have the same license.key file (containing all the license.keys) on every machine. It must be noted however, that the more licences you have in a single license.key file the slower LightWave is to start because the dongle is searching for the license.key that pertains to the particular licence.

Crikey, did I say the word "licence" or "license" often enough? :)

B

johnos
11-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Okay thats great but could we establish a few parameters.

I dont ever remember the the text file in the being called "licence.key" is the .key bit a new thing bearing in mind we got ours at v7 of LW? Is there a proper way to enter the keys into the text file? eg comma seperated or just returns or some other such delimiter?

I know we tried this last year and LW refused to recognise the dongles - we had them on separate lines with carriage returns

Thanks for the help

john

BeeVee
11-19-2004, 12:38 PM
It's not, it's license.key (with an s) :) It's been that way since the advent of LightWave 6. You put each number on a separate line in a plain text file - it mustn't be RTF or anything else, just plain text. On Mac OSX, SimpleText now saves things as RTF by default... on Windows, your problem is different. The file has to be called license.key. Capitalisation isn't important, but it should definitely not be called licence.key or license.key.txt. Make sure you have extensions visible to check that this isn't the case. If you follow those, everything should be okay.

B

johnos
11-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Thanks those are idiot proof instructions - I'll print them off and give a copy to the technician

Cheers

John

BeeVee
11-21-2004, 04:04 AM
They certainly are! I checked them out on myself, and I couldn't make them go wrong... :)

B

johnos
11-24-2004, 06:17 AM
Hi again

We followed the instructions but got no joy. The dongle read the first line but wouldnt go any further - if we changed the order of the codes a different dongle was accepted

2 of us double checked the file

Any suggestions?

mrunion
11-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Having never owned or touched a Mac, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like the file is not really a TEXT file.

My suggestion would be to ask if VeeBee or some other kind, trusted soul might taake a look at your license.key file. Maybe you could send it to someone, have them "check" it, then they could send it back?

pauland
11-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi again

We followed the instructions but got no joy. The dongle read the first line but wouldnt go any further - if we changed the order of the codes a different dongle was accepted

2 of us double checked the file

Any suggestions?
Since you are only interested in five specific machines, create five different licence files, with a different code for each and label the dongles against each machine that they work on.

Paul

johnos
11-25-2004, 11:19 AM
The issue is resolved - it seems that the file has to be encoded for PC, its the Unix and macintosh line returns that screw thinngs up. The penny dropped while I was having trouble with some unix cgi files that stopped working after they had been edited in a less than subtle text editor. I used bbedit to save it into the DOS format (even though we're OSX/unix based and it now works on any machine on the lab - :)