PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Alias Advancements in LightWave 8.2

WilliamVaughan
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
I thought it might help pull some of these out of the main thread so they are easier to find and discuss. So here we go.

Significant Changes to Render Engine!

Powerful new anti-aliasing methods have been added to the renderer, which produce high quality images much faster. Extensive new filter options available in the renderer provide much greater flexibility to control the look and feel of an image/animation based upon the type of scene you’re rendering.

This demo shows the location and basic introduction to teh new AA methods peter mentioned above.
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/PLD001.mov

lede
11-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Well the features look interesting but hows the time now? Is it significatly faster than what we're used to? Is GI any faster in the new system?

-Lee

riki
11-18-2004, 04:18 PM
This looks like a great new feature, I like the bit where you can set it to one pass and do quick tests with motion blur.

Dr. Dardis
11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I would love to see some side-to-side comparisons of the different methods. I am also unsure of the differences in the reconstruction methods ie. Mitchel, gausian etc...

the Doc.

Dick Ma
11-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Is the new rendering method compatible with some shaders like the SG Ambient Occlusion plugins... or the TB Skin shader or other third parties plugins?

GruvSyco
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
is this new AA method going to inhibit the affect of the spinning lights trick?

papou
11-19-2004, 08:56 PM
why keep old methods if the new methods faster and better quality?

Karmacop
11-19-2004, 09:37 PM
For backwards compatability and choice.

TheGreatRaja
11-20-2004, 02:37 AM
So you have the RLD's and a bunch of new filters for them.
My question is what do these new filters do?
I mean is one better for orgainics and another for outside lighting? or what?

Titus
11-20-2004, 02:50 AM
I have been using filters for years with RenderMan. All of them have some strong and weak points, your work is decide which is better for your specific needs.

I can recognise some of the filters like Gaussian and Box, let me do some render test with RenderMan (I don't have LW 8.2) and show you:

Here's a render using the Box filter:

Titus
11-20-2004, 02:53 AM
As you can see the box filter is a little fuzzy but is really fast. Now let's try the Gaussian filter using the same filter width (maybe an equivalent to LW passes), the image is sharper but took more time to render:

Titus
11-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Now I use the same Gaussian filter but with a greater filter width, longer render time but is fuzzier than box:

Titus
11-20-2004, 03:02 AM
And this is what I get from the classic LW render:

zapper1998
11-20-2004, 08:18 AM
wow thats really cool, tk

michael :)

ingo
11-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Hmm, is it just me or is the LW rendering the one with the best aa ???

papou
11-20-2004, 09:40 AM
what about Mitchell and lanczos ?

Exper
11-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Really interesting! :cool:

geoff3dnz
11-20-2004, 01:41 PM
People who own DFX+ (probably quite a few here) may recognise Mitchell, Lanczos etc from the interpolation filter method for the resize / scale tools (and other tools like the blur tool have a box filter method (fast but low quality) as well as gaussian). You can look in the manual / help files for what is distinctive about each method (not particularly informative, but still).

Dr. Dardis
11-21-2004, 07:33 PM
People who own DFX+ (probably quite a few here) may recognise Mitchell, Lanczos etc from the interpolation filter method for the resize / scale tools (and other tools like the blur tool have a box filter method (fast but low quality) as well as gaussian). You can look in the manual / help files for what is distinctive about each method (not particularly informative, but still).

on the contrary, very helpful Geoff. Thanks

Thanks also to Titus for some examples...

The Doc

doug_wilkinson
11-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Hmm, is it just me or is the LW rendering the one with the best aa ???

as far as i can see, its just you.

in the high contrast areas i can see stair stepping. (top left edge)

Titus
11-22-2004, 08:46 AM
I never use box or gaussian filters for production only for test pourposes. RenderMan has better options like Sinc and Catmull-Rom, I think Mitchell and lanczos are an equivalent, better and a little slower.

Matt
11-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Would be nice to see some screenshot comparisons of these new AA modes in LightWave ...

papou
11-26-2004, 05:46 AM
bump!
i would love to see some videos or pics with AA/rendertimes comparaison too ...
Coz, you know, don't want to fall from to high. It's like a movie, if everybody say it's amazing, when you see it, it's sometimes, well .. not sooo good.

So quicker we see it, quicker the we will be fixed.
:cool:

zapper1998
11-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Can you list the Reconstruction filter's for us and maybe a quick rundown on what they are. Or explain to us what they represent.

Michael :D

Titus
11-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Yes I can.

While rendering, LW samples more than one pixel, and the width of the filter is the number of neighbour pixels sampled. The filter is a recipe who knows how much the pixel counts in the sample. I think Box as being a box gives every sample the same weight. Gaussian function looks like a bell, so the center (our pixel) has more weight and the far pixels has almost no influence.

So, like every function is different, they take different time to be calculated and also can produce different results.

The idea behind filters is more complex than that but I hope this helps.

Titus
11-26-2004, 11:16 AM
I remember Tom Duff (from Pixar) one said the Lanczos and Blackman-Harris filters are apropiate for short widths. I think this is the reason why NewTek had included Lanczos, you have good reconstruction and without the need of increasing the number of samples.

zapper1998
11-26-2004, 11:30 AM
So with the 8.2 release will there be some documentation with the new filters ?? And maybe a few test scenes to play with ?

michael :)

tischbein3
11-28-2004, 03:03 PM
titus, could you also done some comparison rendering with
a texture map applied, and maybe some reflections ?

or does someone else know a site with some comparison renderings ?