PDA

View Full Version : Best Book for Rigging characters…Quick!

BaseZero
11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey!

I'm in overdrive here trying to track down the best book for the money that explains and teaches the best way to rig and animate characters in Lightwave. Not sure if there is anything out there that includes material on "IK Boost"…

(My kids are shopping for my birthday and I have to put a "wish list" together for them to shop from.)

Any Ideas?

Silkrooster
11-19-2004, 01:07 AM
Goto Kurvstudios.com and you will find video tutorials on IK Boost, by Larry Shultz or as we know him as Splinegod.
Silk

IZZE
11-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I enjoyed Timothy Albee's LightWave 3D 7.0 Character Animation

Silkrooster
11-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I haven't looked at Tim's book yet. I almost think he has a ver 8 of that book coming out soon.
Silk

Silkrooster
11-19-2004, 06:07 PM
I forgot all about the new character books every one's talking about. I just ordered it my self from Amazon. I am sure most book stores will carry it. Book 2 is on rigging and animating. http://www.wordware.com/cartoon/
Silk

BaseZero
11-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I went out and picked up Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 8. It covers skelegons, bones and the new IK Boost tool. I will definitely pick up Timothy Albee's book when it comes out.

colkai
11-22-2004, 03:25 AM
I'd also heartily recommend Johhny Gordens "Catton Character creation" books.

Now ...don't let that title fool ya, a huge chunk of what he shows is relevant to any character, he just happens to be modelling a cartoon pig. The whole process applies to any rig / character model and is very instructive, covering modelling tricks, UV's weight mapping, rigging, endomorphs, sliders, rig controls, IK/FK

The one thing he doesn't teach you, is how to be a superb CA artist, (I wish :p) :D

Thomas M.
11-22-2004, 04:28 AM
I'd suggest to stay with the internet. Books catch a lot of dust. The point is, do you want to know about the LW technics or is it just animation itself which interests you? For the technical aspect I'd suggest a video course and all these forums out here and for the other side I guess running around with your eyes wide open is probably enough. But on the other hand there is nothing nicer than reading a book on a cold winter day in an arm chair (probably with a blanket and a hot cup of tea).