PDA

View Full Version : Game Tools

Lamont
02-12-2003, 07:39 PM
There's this quick script that was writen for the animators for Ratchet and Clank. Game animations are done in place and it is a long task to make sure the feet aren't sliding. You may not see it in your app, but you'll see it in the engine. A tool like this should be simple to add:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20030211/lally_03.shtml

A Snap/Weld points tool that will just snap or snap within a screen pixel amount or actual distance. With the option to weld on snap and disregard backfacing. Also boxes to preserve 1 and 2 point polys.

And decals. I would like to use decals to break up surfaces.

Alphas in the viewports. If it's using opengl, then why not? But that is funny is that there are Alphas for the sprites, but not the objects. Almost there.

Grid Snaps within the UV grid, it can be U,V or pixel based snaps. With the UV space pixels defined by the user.

A "Refresh" button for the textures.

And a "Flatten UVs" option. It will take UV's defined by the user and flatten them to one UV, or a new one. Or will take all UV defined by the user and place them on a new UV with the new texture saved to disk. Well you can do that by hand... bah...

UVBaker should have a bleed option. Set by the user.

One thing that was an ultimate gift from Newtek is motion mixer. This makes animating for games so much easier.

Qslugs
02-20-2003, 11:31 AM
I believe Animation Master has had that feature for years now.

Lamont
07-13-2004, 04:00 PM
A general modeling helper would be a way to ignore backfacing polys when selecting geometry.

Normal/bumpmaps in the viewport. New generation of videocards, so the viewport rendering should match.

I think Lightwave should extend the olive-branch so to speak when it comes to getting more power out of videwcards that are on the market. Making plug-ins to support ATI/nVidia's shaders and DirectX would make a lot of people happy, although the Mac users will just have to skip out on DirectX.

Karmacop
07-13-2004, 08:27 PM
I think the best improvement for games would be to have Layout's open gl in Modeler.

tudor
07-14-2004, 02:35 AM
I've seen that Ratchet and Clank script.. In games it is very hard not to get sliding feet. If you move straight ahead it is quite easy, but how often do you do that? If you turn either way, the inner foot will move too fast, and the outer to slow. If you start making fixes for that, you quickly end up with way too many animations.

What I do to minimize sliding it to simply add a null, add the ruler object replacement, and place that at the feet of the character. then I just move that ruler at the speed the character moves. Moving ground instead of moving character..

Lamont
07-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Funny, I read the same thing in GameDev and implemented it in 3DS Max and LW via sliders. It was a lot easier in Max the first time.

Dodgy
07-16-2004, 05:46 AM
A Snap/Weld points tool that will just snap or snap within a screen pixel amount or actual distance. With the option to weld on snap and disregard backfacing. Also boxes to preserve 1 and 2 point polys.

And to weld UVS too :)

And decals. I would like to use decals to break up surfaces.

Can't you do that with a separate UV map for the decal then layer it on the surface?

Alphas in the viewports. If it's using opengl, then why not? But that is funny is that there are Alphas for the sprites, but not the objects. Almost there.

You can duplicate your image+alpha and set the duplicate to Alpha only and apply that as a transparency map (inverting it of course since LW has transparency rather than opacity!) and this will be displayed correctly in Layout.

Grid Snaps within the UV grid, it can be U,V or pixel based snaps. With the UV space pixels defined by the user.

You might want the plugin I wrote that I've attached down the bottom then... Better than standard LW quantize.

A "Refresh" button for the textures.

Second that :)

And a "Flatten UVs" option. It will take UV's defined by the user and flatten them to one UV, or a new one. Or will take all UV defined by the user and place them on a new UV with the new texture saved to disk. Well you can do that by hand... bah...

You can use Copy Vmap for this (but there's no drop down menu for existing Vmaps :P)

UVBaker should have a bleed option. Set by the user.

Oh definitely!!! Major one this ;)

One thing that was an ultimate gift from Newtek is motion mixer. This makes animating for games so much easier.

Yup :)

Lamont
07-16-2004, 07:41 AM
I know people have made noise about the unweld verts to move discontenuous UV's. Again: You should not have to unweld points to move UV's.

By flatten UV's, well we have a tool for 3DS max that looked at all the UV maps and textures for the selected model, and combined the UV maps into one sheet and the textures as well. With settings for how packed you wanted the UV's and image size. It was cool when taking props and putting them to one sheet.