PDA

View Full Version : VT4 DV Out Crashes System

RayLarson
11-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Finally got a chance to check out the real time DV out on VT4 and It crashes my system. I get major BSOD. The system captures thru firewire fine but will not output without stuttering then crashing,,,not a major issue because I can go back to outputing thry S-VHS but sure would like to make it work....any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Jim Capillo
11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Finally got a chance to check out the real time DV out on VT4 and It crashes my system. I get major BSOD. The system captures thru firewire fine but will not output without stuttering then crashing,,,not a major issue because I can go back to outputing thry S-VHS but sure would like to make it work....any help or ideas would be appreciated.

What firewire card do you have, Ray? I think there are issues with the TI chip card (or maybe it's the other way around)........

:confused:

Ivan
11-17-2004, 07:31 PM
I have a TI card and the output works fine. I have some issues with input but that has always been the case with my system. I can reproduce the problems as they seem to be related to specific tapes. The problem is I can find no commonality.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
11-18-2004, 12:41 AM
TI chipset, BEST.

VIA chipset, WORST.

Other chipsets, unknown.

RayLarson
11-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Have not been able to solve this issue. My capture from DV is fine but If I try to output the playback stutters, locks up and the system crashes. I am trying ti find out which chipset is in my Firewire card. I know DV in and out is working fine on Premier 6.0 on the same box. I can work around it for now...I have a number of jobs to finish up and then maybe I can take a serious look at it.

ScorpioProd
11-19-2004, 03:48 PM
What CPU(s)?

RayLarson
11-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Dual 1.8 Zeons with 1 GB Ram....I can't even get a green light when I switch to DV out

ScorpioProd
11-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Ah... OK, well, honestly the problem doesn't really surprise me then.

Activating DV out adds 20% to my CPU load on my dual-2.8GHz Xeon system. Mine has enough margin to handle it, but I don't think a dual-1.8GHz Xeon would.

RayLarson
11-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Amazing....works perfectly in Premiere 6.0 on the same box but won't work in VT4.

I have trouble playing out a timeline in T4 if my firewire is plugged into my Panasonic DV2000 even thru Y/C. Once I unplug the firewire all is fine. Happens if deck is on or off. Been a problem since early build of VT3.

We are planning an upgrade to Dual 2.4's, maybe it will help. :(

inquisitive
11-20-2004, 01:47 PM
VT4 crashed on me twice just as I was going thru the manual exercises (and was using the control deck feature)

No bsod just a message saying that it had generated errors and it would close etc.

I have an adaptec firewire, i believe its an IT chipset, dual 2G xeon 512mb ram.
I guess the next test is to use some external program like DVIO or something like that at the same time that VT4 is running.

Note: Eugene or someone else had mentioned they had found a free capture program called DVIO or something like that.

If DV capture adds overhead then any other program should add the same type/amt of overhead... if while running VT4 and dvio(or other) it works then i guess the issue is with VT4 method of capturing DV and not necesarily with the hardware being used correct?

ScorpioProd
11-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Well, but you can't really compare the CPU load that Premiere would need to output DV versus what the VT[4] would need, that's totally an apples and oranges comparison. VT[4] is actually compressing the output in real-time in software, while simultaneously decompressing anything that isn't uncompressed in the time line. Premiere keeps DV stored as DV and plays it out as such, so it doesn't have to recompress it. And anything where there are transitions or effects it prerenders to DV first. So really, the CPU load the way Premiere does it is minimal, but totally different from what VT[4] is accomplishing.

As for the question about capturing DV, no, that wasn't me that said that. And if you mean "capturing" DV in the sense of a transfer of DV over firewire, that requires minimal CPU since there isn't any actual compressing or uncompressing going on when you do that. BUT, in the VT[4], everything is always available via the analog outputs, so that means VT[4] will be doing a decompression even while transfering a DV file, just so you can see it on the analog out or switch with it.

inquisitive
11-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks,

I edited my previous post, sorry if it sounded as I was implying you said to run a test, the mention of your name was specific to having found an external free DV capturing program.

However in regards to my crashes I was not even capturing, i was simply using the control deck to fast forward / rewind a tape that is all, not capturing (ran out of battery :) so i couldnt try that aspect).