PDA

View Full Version : Dog animation

hairy_llama
11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
little anim I did in a few hours for fun and practice, I've never animated a 4 legged creature before...

http://dv3productions.com/Dog.mov

pdrake
11-17-2004, 10:49 PM
very nice. you should make him poop.

i'd like to see that rig.

hairy_llama
11-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Here is a rig pic:

Trawler
11-18-2004, 03:01 PM
I've never animated a 4 legged creature before...

Well, ya did just fine. :) Seriously, this is great work. The movements of the head are dead on. Did you use a video reference of some kind?

hairy_llama
11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
"Did you use a video reference of some kind?"

Yep, taken with my eyes :) I have a little dog about that size :)

Scott Gammans
11-18-2004, 04:09 PM
AWWWW! He's so cute!!

That is an amazing job you did on that animation. Two thumbs up! :)

pdrake
11-18-2004, 04:44 PM
thanks. that sure is nice and simple.

shaol
11-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Where's the tongue other wise nice job

can we download a nicer preview?

hairy_llama
11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks. I'm really suprised at all the positive comments, this was a very
quick and dirty anim test, very simple rig and not much thought put into the animation. Actually I was pretty happy because I've allways had fears about animating something with more than 2 legs and it turned out OK :)

veljko
11-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Kul!
You impresed me:)
Did you use any reference materials?

hairy_llama
11-19-2004, 06:54 PM
"Kul!
You impresed me"

Thanks.

"Did you use any reference materials?"
read above...

BTW I love your avatar, lol. I want to animate that thing, lots of soft body dynamics :)

Csion
11-19-2004, 07:31 PM
I want to see the model!

That's so good...friendly and loyal.

But I think the different movements switch too fast...skitzo doggie!

lasco
11-20-2004, 12:11 PM
I can't even understand how one can reproduce
movements so real.
I'm always much more impressed by this
than by photo-realist renderings…

Very good job !

veljko
11-21-2004, 02:13 PM
he he:) yes, lots of soft body there:)
the avatar was done as a joke to Otacons avatar:)- now theres some soft body dynamics aswell:)
Great anim, once again...
:)

Darttman
11-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Looks like a lil' pooch to me!

Nice work on the lil' guy he looks young and fiesty.

Capel
11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
the jump into the shot has some serious problems. more weight. the turn into the little trot across the screen is weak as well. some timing and weight issues there. It almost looks like you rotoscoped everything after the jump in, cuz it's such a stark difference. the start is so weak, but it finishes almost like it's motion captured.

it seems like a dog would hop through the door and just keep on trotting almost uninterrupted in the direction he was jumping. you've got him leaning way into his landing, which looks nice and gives the impression of weight, but doesn't work for this situation. then he just darts to the side. it looks way unnatural. i'd have him jump in and go straight into a trot, but have him continue in the direction of his jump for three or four steps, then circle to his left, rather than lunge. Hope this makes sense...

also, most of your secondary motion (tail, ears) could use some polishing. the right ear defies gravity on the jump in, but the motion for the tail is pretty much there, it may just be a matter of tweaking your curves...

hairy_llama
11-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Pretty much everything you said is spot on. The second half is good because I redid it once. Its first incarnation was also lacking in weight, especially where it turns to sit down.
I think it also got a lot better at the end because I started to get a "feel" for how
a quadruped creature moves, timing, weight etc. I'm assuming you watched it frame by frame?

"then he just darts to the side. it looks way unnatural"

Hahahaha, you woulda loved it before I added about 4 extra frames, talk about fast :) But really, this sized dog can change direction with a lot less than 4 steps, i've seen my dog do it many times.

"also, most of your secondary motion (tail, ears) could use some polishing."

This anim only has about half a day into it, not much polishing done at all, and
is not likely to get it... This was allready shown to the client who was blown away by it, we did not get the deal but I did the animation anyway because I knew what they where going to get from anyone else in this state would be bad, I was right and they want to use me for their animation in the future... I only had 5 days to model, animate, texture and render it, thankfully my sister helped with the textures. :)

"but it finishes almost like it's motion captured."

I guess thats a good thing, although I personally hate mo-cap animation.

Thanks for the feeds, allways appreciated ;)

Capel
11-23-2004, 11:26 AM
But really, this sized dog can change direction with a lot less than 4 steps, i've seen my dog do it many times.

Even so, it still doesn't look right...

hairy_llama
11-23-2004, 11:39 AM
"Even so, it still doesn't look right..."

Yep, and I agree.

Capel
11-23-2004, 11:50 AM
i think you should clean this up... it could be a really good piece for your reel. speaking of which, do you have a site, or more of your work posted anywhere? i'd like to check it out...

hairy_llama
11-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah, go to dv3productions.com click on the M (media) button then play the animation reel, the commercials reel also has some animated spots on it... as you can see I do a lot more VFX type work than character animation but I'm thinking about focusing on more character animation... I was not gona put the dog on my reel
but maybe I should tweek it some more and use it... Do you rig all of your characters? I really hate rigging and that keeps me from animating... maybe its just LW's way of rigging but I find it a real pain in the ***... I allmost feel like just going
100% FK.
If you have any good rigs you use in LW I would LOVE to take a look at em...

Capel
11-23-2004, 02:04 PM
hey i checked out that reel. some pretty cool stuff on there...

as for rigging in lw, hmmmm... how to not piss everyone off..... in all honesty, LW's character animation tools are it's weakest, imho. Modeling's all fine and good, and i prefer it's modeler to any other, but after animating in maya, i could never go back. figuratively speaking. of course if my next job is animating in LW i'm gonna do it.

the tools for rigging and animation in Maya are it's real strengths... the amount of tweaking you can do to your curves is amazing, and the workflow just feels alot better...

of course with LW8, the tools are getting better, and i'm sure eventually they'll be up there, but as for right now, i'm using maya at work and for my personal stuff.

my workflow right now is, model in LW, (soon) detail/displacement maps in ZBrush, rig and animate in Maya, render back in LW. that way i'm using the strengths of each package...

ok, my rant is done....