PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a reptile

Jamel
11-17-2004, 03:34 PM
I want to try some thing different i want to model a reptile like a snake. Just because i havent seen one done. I have been using lightwave for about 8 months so i know the basics so hopfully that will be enough.

so any ways do you guys have any ideas how i should go about this (box,spline,ect...) any thing would help references. I plan to model the head
then the rest of the body but i dont want to use belevel (it will come out looking mechanical) so any ideas shoot em my way.

thanks

Silkrooster
11-17-2004, 08:44 PM
The body could be done with rail extrude, using two rails. Since the rails are created with spline curve, the body would be more natural in bending, and with two rails you can make the body go from fairly large down to extremely small for the tail. The head is more up to what your more comfortable using box, spline or point modeling. Good Luck, and I hope we can see your efforts soon.
Silk

Jamel
11-19-2004, 01:25 PM
here is what i have so far. I think im shoud make the body longer. I think once im done it would look great with some textures.

objuan
11-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Looks pretty cool.

One thing to think about is if you want ot animate it, and how your going to texture it. For both those tasks it is probably easiest to model your snake straight, and then deform him/her in layout using bones, or one of those spline following plugins I know nothing about.

Rory_L
11-20-2004, 12:40 AM
I completely agree with Objuan. Even if you only want to make a still image, modelling the snake straight and posing it in Layout is strongly recommended.

Having said that, if you are dead set on texturing the current model, you can get UVs to run down the length of the snake with the UVspider plugin.

First though, you need to add more subdivisions along the length of the body: it`s clearly poly-faceted as it is now.

Cheers,

R