PDA

View Full Version : Two nodes on one computer

exit6
11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi, I've got a dual G5 and when I try to use each processor as an SN node, one renders at about the expected speed but the other one is like four or five times slower. I guess this is what it would be like to render two nodes on a box with one CPU. Does anyone know what might be wrong, or am I trying to do something that just won't work? Is there some setting somewhere to specify which CPU to use, or to use two?

Thomas
11-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi, I've got a dual G5 and when I try to use each processor as an SN node, one renders at about the expected speed but the other one is like four or five times slower. I guess this is what it would be like to render two nodes on a box with one CPU. Does anyone know what might be wrong, or am I trying to do something that just won't work? Is there some setting somewhere to specify which CPU to use, or to use two?
On my G5 each node renders at (almost) the exact same speed. I've found that not only does it render quicker with two instances of LWSN on the same machine (as opposed to one instance with multi-threading) but you also can forget about plugs not multi-thread-supported and render anything that comes in your way.

One question, sorry if it seems obvious. Have you set the segment-memory limit the same for each node?

No big help, but it works for me.

Regards
Thomas

exit6
11-18-2004, 07:01 PM
well i had the same experience for a while then all of the sudden it stopped working right. Maybe it is the segment memory, I don't know. I'll have to figure out how to check it, then check it.