PDA

View Full Version : plastic hose with ribs

byronpetch
11-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi,

I need to create a curvy plastic hose which would normally be quite straight forward using RailExtrude. The difficulty in this case is that the pipe needs to be ribbed. The ribs run around the circumference of the pipe not the length. Any ideas how I could achieve this.

many Thanks

Matt P

Axis3d
11-17-2004, 08:57 AM
You mean like this?
First, I made a disc with 10 sides, then extruded it with plenty of segments. Then, just hilight every other row of points along the tube and stretch them out slightly. I hit the Tab key to make it a subD object.

Then, I used the Modify > Transform >More >SplineGuide tool to bend it into shape.

byronpetch
11-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Yes thats it. I haven't used the spline guide tool before so I didn't think of that.

Thanks for that I will give it a try.

Matt P

byronpetch
11-17-2004, 10:18 AM
I can see with practice this method could work well. However I cant bend the pipe more than 90 degrees. I suppose I could make it out of several separate pipes and join them together.

Matt P

Axis3d
11-17-2004, 05:16 PM
You could use the Bend tool in Modeler to bend sections of your tubes. The Bend tool will not distort the tube the way that the SplineGuide does. The SplineGuide just gives you more freeform shapes.

byronpetch
11-18-2004, 01:50 AM
Yes I did give that a quick try and it also has potential. The pipe has quite a few bends in it and has to start and finish in specific positions so I was wondering if I was missing a command similar to the rail extrude.

I think with a bit of time I can get what I want using the methods above.

Thanks for your help

Matt P

Rekottop
11-18-2004, 05:36 AM
I wonder if Norm's rope plug-in would help. It isn't out yet but check out this verry active thread in the WIP forum: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=27044&page=1&pp=40

colkai
11-18-2004, 05:52 AM
I was wondering if I was missing a command similar to the rail extrude.
Matt P

I'm almost sure there has been a request like this in the past but I can't recall the solution. I'm pretty sure it was similar to what you suggest, where you could 'extrude' it, or maybe it was using the Layout tools of C_bend or such to produce the final result.

Can anyone confirm .. or are these the ramblings of a senile old man?? :p

byronpetch
11-18-2004, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the discussion.

Ive sort of created what I want now by first rail extruding a disc then rail duplicating a rib along the same path. This was suggested to me by someone in another forum. Not the most elegant of solutions but it seems to work and its quick and manageable.

Thanks

Matt P