PDA

View Full Version : Hub has Stopped Launching

riki
11-17-2004, 07:33 AM
I've just noticed tonight, that when I launch Lightwave (modeler or Layout), that the Hub has stopped launching with it. It was working fine earlier today.

In the manual it states

Note: If you would like to run Layout and/or Modeler independently, append -0 to the command (e.g., Lightwav.exe -0. Thatís a zero, by the way.) You will have to load and save objects manually.

but how do I get it to launch if it's stopped on it's own accord?

eblu
11-17-2004, 07:38 AM
riki,
did you put the -0 in the command file?

my guess is no.

so that means that most likely one of your pref files has gone south...
another guess (because apparently the hub doesn't launch when you launch modeller or Layout) that it is one of the HUB's own pref files.

try something for me...
create a new user, consider "test" for its name... login as test, and see what happens when you launch Layout or modeller... does the hub launch too?

riki
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi Eblu

no you're right I didn't add -0 to the command file. I did notice however that when I launch Layout and Modeler and then the Hub, and then say quit out of Layout and try to launch it again using the Hub, it just wasn't working. I have backups of all my main pref files, so I replaced them, but still no luck. So in the end I just reinstalled at about 2am last night,uugh feeling the grief now :) But at least it's working properly again now.

many thanks for your help

blabberlicious
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi Eblu

no you're right I didn't add -0 to the command file. I did notice however that when I launch Layout and Modeler and then the Hub, and then say quit out of Layout and try to launch it again using the Hub, it just wasn't working.

Hi Guys

Yep I had the same problem, continually - reinstall seemed to fix it, but now it's back.

Sorry to say :-(

I usually find that quitting The Hub, launching Modeler first, then Layout is the only reliable way to get the Hub back in sync. (and then not every time).

Quit Layout and relaunch & Sync with Modeler & Hub?

Nope - not working for me since 8.01, either.

Tried new prefs, reloading saved configs - but it still happens.

Quite annoying, particularly when FPrime has a nasty habit of crashing Layout if you forget to close-pause the preview window when reloading or refreshing image files (Conformed by Worley Labs).

So 'post crash' involves having to shut down modeller & hub, re-launch modeler & relaunch Layout....

FYI There is also known bug with Layout & Modeler Configs - an issue that Scott is aware of and dealing with. I'm not sure if this is related, but the problems you describe all emerged in the 8.01 - so I'm kinda hoping they are related.

I have posted Support about your problem, but it never hurts to remind them :-)

Could you clear one thing up for me:
Since LW8 have you ever been able to open Modeller or Layout files by double clicking on them in the finder? It only seems to bring the HUB to the foreground for me. Only works if LW isn't active - Once the HUB is launched - no dice.

Cheers

riki
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
I always had the Hub disabled on my G4, I've only started using it a few weeks ago when I got the G5. But yeah you're right, if only the Hub is running, you can't double-click on a LWO to open it in Modeler, it just brings the Hub into Focus, which is really annoying.

Also If I have the Hub running with Layout open and I go to the Hub File menu and select 'Quit' (to quit the Hub). It quits Layout not the Hub.

Bangs Head Against Wall > "Yes Yes Mr Newtek I know that you probably have a good reason for this!" < Bangs Head Against Wall again :)

eblu
11-18-2004, 07:39 AM
i myself have the hub turned off.

blabberlicious... do me a favor.

see if you get the same symptoms from a brand new user account ok?
its a quick and concrete way to establish whether or not its a problem with the app or pref files.

blabberlicious
11-18-2004, 02:24 PM
i myself have the hub turned off.

blabberlicious... do me a favor.

see if you get the same symptoms from a brand new user account ok?
its a quick and concrete way to establish whether or not its a problem with the app or pref files.

I wish it was. That simple.

Created a new account, and, yes, everything works fine. But that was the case for pervious installations, for a few days or so...

Previoulsy, I had scrupulously cleared out configs and redirected prefs to a new folder in the top level of my HD - as there is a known bug in LW relating to saving path names longer than 32 characters long - this was causing some LS plugins that wrote prefs to fail.

I suspect that the Hub failing in this 'degenerative' way is caused by either the above - or something related - as the config files for new Modeler and Layout are also breaking down & failing to show added plugins.....

I hope it' s been fixed - at least we'll know soon :-)

eblu
11-19-2004, 09:52 AM
i am having a heck of a time keeping menus working... they lose their link to the plugins, almost every time I use LW. so I feel the pain. the new 8.01 LW is a pain in the ---.

that test I had you do... pretty much proves the config files are fubar'd. did you know, that even when you redirect LW to look elsewhere for config files... it STILL puts Some files wherever it wants to?
part of That problem is the sloppy way many of the plugins save their pref files... and the other part is the sloppy way LW saves its pref/config files. I'd put money down that the guilty config file is one that LW is hiding on you.