PDA

View Full Version : Modeling landscapes w/B&W images as weight maps

Rekottop
11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
I found a tut on how to make nice rolling hills using a B&W image as a weight map. I did it nicely in LW 7.5 using "LW_TextureVMap" under the Map tab. My question is how do I do it in LW 8? Thanks in advance for any help any one can give me.

Rekottop
11-15-2004, 09:32 PM
I must be crazy because I am answering myself. :rolleyes:

Okay I kept looking after this post and started to experiment and found it is called Textured Point under the Map tab in the Color section. If any one is interested in this it is really simple to do.

1 - Make a B&W image in a paint program. The image will be the land. The black will make the lowest points in the land, the grey make up the slopes, and the white will make up the highest points of the land.

2 - Make a flat box (no Y dimensions) in Modeler. Click on the W in the lower right corner and then select 'new' in the pull down window in the more lower right corner. Type in something like "LandWeight" and press [enter].

3 - Now go to the Map tab and select Textured Point under the Color section. Leave Offset at 0, leave Scale at 1 m, select Y for the Axis and the in the VMap Type make sure it says Weight Map. After that choose "LandWeight" in the VMap Name pull down window.

4 - Then choose the Texture button. Choose your B&W image you made in the paint program and then select Automatic Sizing and the close the Texture Editor window and the Apply Texture window.

5 - Finally hit the 't' button to move your object. Then hit 'n' to pull up the numeric window. On the Falloff dropdown window select Weight Map and then start dragging in one of the side view ports.

Thanks to any one that has replied to this thread while I was typing this all out. And if no one did well :) ... well then um thanks to anyone who would have replied to this thread had I not found answered my own question. :D

I hope this teaches some one something new.

Weetos
11-16-2004, 01:02 AM
Interesting stuff :) Thanks for sharing your experience

now I wonder what's the difference between using a displacement map and this method? Seems like both give the same result or am I confused?

Silkrooster
11-16-2004, 01:21 AM
The nice thing about the method that Rekottop is showing, is that a image map is not even needed. You can create a weight map apply an over all value of 50%. Then use the air brush tool, to paint the highs values at 100% and the lows values at 0%. Nice when you want a small hill and a small pond. :D
If I remember correctly, I also think you can apply negitive values to a weightmap as well. I wouldn't be supprized if you could apply values over 100%. Never tried it, but I am finding almost anything is possible with Lightwave.
Silk

Weetos
11-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Thanks for your explanation Silkrooster ;)