PDA

View Full Version : Why do you 3D??

Spidey1138
11-15-2004, 11:18 AM
As I was surfing through threads in the WIP and Finished art sections, I got to thinking. "Where is all this stuff going to end up in?"

So, I would like to know, why do you toil away in front of the soul sucking glow of your computer for hours creating your personal masterpiece?

Do you do it for your job? Just for the fun of it? Freelance work?

Me personally? A friend turned me on to Lightwave a little over a year ago. Just now I am getting proficient enough to actually create something that I would show someone! (thanks toasty!!)

What about you??

UnCommonGrafx
11-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Legal Addiction.

Paul_Boland
11-15-2004, 11:51 AM
It started for me about 16 years ago. I was out shopping with my folks and we walks passed a computer store and there was an Amiga computer in the window showing an animation of two reflective spheres moving slowly up and down on a plane with a sky in the background. I remember I was mesmerised by that and I wanted to to be able to do that too. When I got a PC, I got a copy of Caligari TrueSpace 1 from a magazine cover CD and that was the start of it all. I remember when I created my first cube and coloured it red. I was so excited!!

Over the years I have moved up to TrueSpace 5.1 (which is what I currently use). I used the software for a lot of still images, and then I saw Pixar's Toy Story and my whole life changed. I walked into the cinema expecting to see a childs movie created on a computer. I walked out determined to create my own 3D movies.

Today, I have some fame in the form of my first 3D characters; Cyber, Bo Nus, PuzBot, PrizBot and Saber (see my avatar). I created these guys for a computer game but after my very first 3D movie was created to show off the characters at a Clickteam Convention in London, that six minute movie brougt me some fame. The characters went down very well and a lot of people wanted to see more with them. So I created more movies and eventually a full blown 3D Movie Production Tutorial, of which the full version contains 26 minutes of video footage with these guys in it. Their game, the reason they were created in the first place, is finally in the works though it is some way off.

The guys are very basic in design. They have only limited movement (their hands really), but the personality that my sister and I gave them has really brought them to life. They are by far my favourite 3D creation to date. I love these guys ;).

TrueSpace really got me started in the world of 3D and I have no problem in recommending it as a package for someone who is looking for their first taste of 3D art and animation. But I believe it has taken me as far as it is going to and I am currently in the process of saving up to invest in Lightwave 8. I am over half way on my savings and will become a Lightwaver in 2005 :D!!

In the mean time, if you are interested, follow the link below to my website and go to the 3D page. There you will find a selection of my 3D art work from over the years working with Caligari TrueSpace.

UnCommonGrafx
11-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Paul,
Go buy this guys copy:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=186069

wingwalker
11-15-2004, 12:25 PM
It makes me happy

Lightwolf
11-15-2004, 01:09 PM
It is the most fun way to pay my bills ;)

Panikos
11-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Wolf, wise ;)

cresshead
11-15-2004, 05:29 PM
it beats working for a living!

and is 1000% better than "bagging sand"!!!

i find it really nice that i can make a living doing stuff i have a good interest in...i tried music for 15years but never had a job with it...now i have several jobs related to 3d or cgi...

and all my fav things are film/fx related so lightwave and 3ds max was a natural choice to get into.

so far...........so good!

cheers

steve g

theo
11-15-2004, 06:56 PM
dunno..... :confused:

jin choung
11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
why do men do anything?

why do we do 3d? write? play video, board, card, and sundry role playing games (both paper&pen and computer)? build bridges? build bombs? wage war? and all the other innumerable hobbies that feverishly - nay, desperately consume our waking hours and days?

because we can't get laid and we haven't found an effective book that will show us how yet.

it may be the alpha males that are responsible for the mere propagation of the species but it is the omega males that evolve us and take us higher....

just think, there we were, ostracized from the group, unable to get mates and diddling ourselves with four useless fingers... but then, one day, after millions of years - BOOM - opposable thumb baby... and all of a sudden, it's a WHOLE new ballgame (this may or may not be quite literal).

but have faith my geeky brothers.... one day... one day....

jin <still shaking his opposable thumbed fist at the heavens>

theo
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
because I can't get laid and I haven't found the book that will show me how yet

Speak for yourself Choungster.... :cool:

jin choung
11-15-2004, 09:15 PM
:D

jin

Bytehawk
11-16-2004, 06:28 AM
the urge to be creative, no matter what

3d is less messy than painting or sculpting
it's more immediate, you just have to boot up the pc and shut it down afterwards
it destresses me from the daily work rythm (PR, management) even more than 'playing vegetable' in front of the TV.

Paul_Boland
11-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Paul,
Go buy this guys copy:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=186069

Wow, there is a lot on offer there. I hope he makes a good sale but it won't be from me. Thanks for the link though.