PDA

View Full Version : Any Advantage to cineon?

monovich
11-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Howdy.

Is there any advantage rendering to the Cineon format out of LW? I know it's 16bit, which is what I'd like to use for flexibility, but once you convert black and white levels in After effects to dial it into a usable picture, it SEEMS you've already thrown out half of the extra image information, so is it really better than any 8bit format?

I would use one of the other 16bit formats, but I'm rendering with fprime and can't save to that many formats. I'm also compositing on mac. I'm pretty sure Cineon is all I'm left with for 16bit. RLA 16 bit doesn't work out of fprime.

any added thoughts or insights would be appreciated also.

thanks.

-Steve

Lightwolf
11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Hi Steve,
Cineon is actually only 10bit, but logarithmic, not linear.
You might want to try one of the SGI formats if AE reads that, or get the openEXR plugin for LW if you're on a PC (check www.flay.com), i'm not sure if AE supports it though.

You basically just get more flexibility of you can render your project in 16bit, the higher depth formats will give you more headroom for colour correction, nicer blurs, etc...

Cheers,
Mike

monovich
11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
AE says it reads the SGI formats, but it all comes in garbled. Not sure who's fault that is (adobe or newtek)

But back to cineon. so do you think it's better than normal 8bit or not worth the extra sace/processing?

-s

Lightwolf
11-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Put it this way .... if you can see a difference, use it, otherwise, don't ;)
The question is what Version of AE you have, and if it actually supports rendering in 16 bit.

Cheers,
Mike

monovich
11-15-2004, 02:42 PM
yes, we've got AE 6.5 and it supports 16 bit, but, for instance, RLA files saved to 16 bit don't work even though it says they should. Weird.

I'll stick with Cineon on this then, it actually seems pretty useful adjusting the density/opacity of volumetric lights without getting banding.

thanks for the help.

-s