PDA

View Full Version : VT4 Capture Dropping Frames - Why?

Mark Patrick
11-14-2004, 10:35 AM
VT4, 1st project, fresh install. After about 12 minutes recording stops because of dropping frames. I am recording analog, uncompressed, in from a D9 JVC deck.

I have a Supermicro P4DCE, dual 2ghz xeon, 4 U160 10K cheetah drives. on Adaptec in 64 bit slot. Auto config says the drives are getting something like 193 mb/s.

Killed Winrtme, defragged, etc...

I do only have 512 rdram with another 512 on the way.

What could possibly cause this on a simple capture. Should I just turn off the "Stop recording when frames drop", what are the consequences to that? Now when I edit this wedding, which has constant music and long sections, I am going to have to work like crazy to piece together small pieces.

I just upgraded to VT4 and this is so discouraging.

Paul Lara
11-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Should I just turn off the "Stop recording when frames drop", what are the consequences to that?

The consequence will likely be an interrupted audio stream that begins to drift out of synch with the video, Mark. Not suggested.

I'm unsure what is causing this, but you may want to ensure you're capturing Program Out, instead of Main; place the switcher preview on black; disable background processing in Recording prefs.

Jim_C
11-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Try capturing a DV type 2 file to another drive if you have one Mark. A single ide drive can capture DV footage. thsi may help tell you if it is your raid flaking out on you or the VT itself.

Is indexing turned off on your video drives?

Mark Patrick
11-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys, I think I am working again - Fingers Crossed! I just captured 1/2 the wedding in one pass, about 30 minutes with no trouble or dropped frames.

I did what Paul said, and turned of the background stuff and made few adjustments
in preferences according to the manual. I made it where it does not draw wave frames, etc.. while capturing.

Paul Lara
11-15-2004, 06:38 AM
My fingers (and toes) are crossed, Mark! ;)

Jim_C
11-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Does VT4 take more Horsepower to capture a stream than VT3?

Paul Lara
11-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Not really, Jim.

Jim_C
11-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Thank You Sir.

stuart_tetley
03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
I guess I got lucky the other day. I was trying to capture DV into VT3 via firewire. It appeared to work OK, but when I dropped the result into VT-Edit, the audio part was playing about 50% too fast. I couldn't figure out what was up, and for some reason, NT's website was unavailable at the time. So I decided to try uncompressed capture via Y-C, expecting problems, since I had available only a single 7200rpm IDE drive which hasn't been defragged in forever (my U160 array lives in a separate box which was about 10 miles away at the time.)

It took in the footage first go like a champ - about 9+ minutes without a hitch.

I'd be curious to know what's up with the firewire though.