PDA

View Full Version : the img.

phill
04-09-2003, 07:30 AM
i dont see the img. thatswhy i'll try again.

sorry

philip

phill
04-09-2003, 07:52 AM
i need help with the realism

Zarathustra
04-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Well, better lighting would give you the most immediate benefit. Only one light should be providing your dominant shadows (there's only one Sun, right?).
Turn shadows off all but one light. Try coloring the shadow or duplicating your light and lower it's intensity and only have it cast your shadow.
Things to get you started.

Also, your roof texture isn't seemless. It's obvious where it repeats.

starbase1
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Is there any bump on the tiles around the pool? Just using the image as a bump should be a useful start...

Also the water looks a bit silvery to me...

Nick

Finger
04-09-2003, 12:33 PM
What an ugly image, throw yourself from a bridge. Just kidding, just pick a shotgun and put it in your mouth, just joking, put your head in the microwave.

Nice picture (Just trying to be nice)

Epita
04-09-2003, 01:13 PM
The water sucks, its really noisy which is not like real water, more smoothness. (its a heto terrain bump map take it out!)

The sky also sucks it dosnt look like that, use sky baker

Epita

Zarathustra
04-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Reminds me of the old saying, "the pot calling the kettle black."

Just relax and stick with the constructive criticism. Yes, your pool water needs to look like a pool and not an ocean and you need a sky.

If you feel down, you can just look at Epita's work.
:D

Hiraghm
04-09-2003, 08:08 PM
I would reduce the amount of reflection in the pool, and reduce the frequencies in the texture. That and the lighting changes suggested above and the pic should be great!

Meaty
04-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Overall the image is pretty good. Hiraghm and Zara's comments are good observations.

My suggestion is to rethink the ground texture outside the pool. Sure it looks pretty nice the way it is, but I don't think there would ever be a linoleum flooring around a pool. Linoleum is very slippery when wet =] You might wanna try for more of a stucco look.

Post updates.

ChrisS
04-10-2003, 02:19 PM
I think it's looking good.

If you're going for more realism here's what I'd suggest. <YMMV>

As stated before, you should get your shadows and key lighting from one light (the sun). For bright outdoor scenes I like to crank the level up to something like 500% with a touch of yellow in the color. Also, keep ambient light low (the default is almost always too high) and keep fill lights to a minimum. Outside on a bright day shadows are harsh and black to me. For fill a lot of times I use a distant light setup below the scene at 10-20% with a color to match the ground and/or environment (with shadows off of course). The light can either be at the center of the scene pointing straight up, or it can be angled a little bit in relation to the camera to get the best fill effect. Usually when I use this technique I'll set the ambient lighting even lower, or perhaps turn it off.
Of course, you could use radiosity, but that can take time to render and isn't always worth the time or effort.

Then I'd play with the the textures.
Try bringing the diffuse levels down on most of your textures. For the most part at 100% things have that plastic/CG feel to them. I usually go for 60-80% on average, but for things like glass or water, you can go to 0% depending on what you want. Clear water gets its visibility from reflection and specularity rather than diffuse. Try a different water texture to give it a more wavy effect, lower the diffuse then play with the reflection and specular.
Keep up the good work!:)

Meaty
04-10-2003, 07:51 PM
water in pools that is undisturbed is almost completely flat... depending on the wind... a bigger (in size) yet much more subtle texture would probably help a lot

Epita
04-11-2003, 02:35 PM
hey Zarathustra shut it. i dont care what u think, but ur (thinks of something nasty that is now censored) might!

Epita

Zarathustra
04-11-2003, 02:42 PM
You can't just tell someone their work sucks without there being repercussions.

Give helpful advice or leave. If you have other issues, then email me.

phill
04-12-2003, 03:02 AM
thanks to everybody for the advice

i'll keep working

philip

danilo
04-12-2003, 05:05 AM
The space around pool is too empty.
Maybe some chairs,magazine,coctail......
Nice piece!
danilo

Extent
04-12-2003, 09:12 PM
the water is much improved but I think that maybe there is too much light now and it's kind of flattening out. not sure tho. how about making it a slightly more overcast day and doing soft shadows??