PDA

View Full Version : Are you selling your models online?

murdoch
11-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Greetings,

just looking for peoples experiences of selling their models online. Turbo Squid seems the obvious choice but they take a hefty lump AND you have to pay US tax (do I still have to pay UK tax on top of that? and what about VAT?). 3D Model Works take less but there seems to be additional work required to get models to a state where they can display them online. Others like 3Dcafe and Datapump don't give any useful info about how it works with them (I have mailed them).

Any pointers appreciated and links to any other vendors would be good.

Thanks

Silkrooster
11-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I don't feel my models are of worth yet to sell. However I did some checking into the matter. If you want to convert your models to be Poser friendly, you should check out DAZ (http://www.daz3d.com/brokering/brokerinfo.php) , Renderosity (http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez?viewStory=282) (Renderosity also handles Lightwave objects) and Runtime DNA which at the moment I could not find the sellers info page. They may only look once in a while for new artists. There web page is http://www.runtimedna.com/
Silk

meshmaster
11-13-2004, 02:26 AM
don't feel limited to Turbosquid....

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60785 has a list of several other places that do similar stuff, most of which have better rates than ts. No need in going with one company only (although some of them will give you better rates if you go with them and only them (i.e. go exclusive))

Imatk
11-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I personally don't like many of these sites. A lot of pretty decent models go for a VERY small amount, I'm assuming because they expect to sell large quantities of them. Of course there are a lot of fairly bad models that are sold as well.

If your models are really good, then you won't need to sell them on a site that will charge a percentage of the sale... people will come to you.

Just my experience. Take it for what it's worth :)

Jure
11-14-2004, 04:22 AM
I sell my items on Turbo Squid. They get 50% but I guess it's worth it since I sell a lot more than I would if I only offerd it on my homepage. I did have quite a difficulty getting ITIN number from IRS so my earnings are exempt from tax withdrawal. You need to fill some forms and such and it's pretty complicated. I had to mail IRS three times before they finaly assigned me ITIN...

Karmacop
11-14-2004, 07:57 AM
50% is a massive amount ...

murdoch
11-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies and links, all very useful.

50% does stick in the throat a bit but I guess weighing it up against the time saved in self marketing/promotion and the inevitable financial transaction hassles it does take the edge off of their slice, or rather, their chunk. The lazy man's choice perhaps.

Keep 'em coming.

starbase1
11-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Speaking as an occaisonal buyer rather than a seller, I very rarely bother with Turbo squid - it seems to have a lot of overpriced low quality models there, and I can't be bothered to wade through the junk to find the few good ones.

I have bought things from 3d commune, though I have no idea what its like as a seller there. They seem to concentrate largely on the lower end of the price scale, but the typical quality of things I have found is pretty good.

>>VERY<< happy with the price and quality of the 'Dystopia' city blocks packs!

Nick

kurv
11-16-2004, 09:31 AM
If you are interested KURV studios is gearing up to sell 3D models from our site. We will handle the payments, downloading, etc... and we would only want a small percentage. Since our system is completely automated, we can do this for a small amount.

If your interested please email me at [email protected]

Thanks... hope we can help you.

hrgiger
11-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Sounds cool Kurv. Way to stick it to the big boys.

kurv
11-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Lots of folks have asked for details...

Security:
Our system allows a set number of download attempts, and uses dynamic URL's. Once the time limit or attempts have been exceeded the URL is no longer valid.

Files are kept behind access restricted folders. These folders are not even on the root of the web page, there in a higher level area for security.

We can even limit the number of times a model is sold if you want to make it a limited edition.

Payment:
We will issue a PayPal payment or check bi-monthly for models sold. KURV studios will only take a flat fee per model sold, 10.00 plus merchant fees. Merchant fees are the fees assessed to our account for credit card or PayPal payments. The fee per model sold should be around 12.25 or 12.50. Much better than 50 - 57% of the retail fee ;)

Special-- To kick things off and make this a no brainier for you. Now through the end of the year we will only charge you $2.00 plus merchant fees per model sold.

Traffic:
KURV is doing more than 30K unique hits per day and more than 130 Gigs of bandwidth per month. We are advertising on all major search engines and stup to provide downloadable content. We the perfect avenue for your models.

What we need:
We need information on the model, sales information like:

Summary of file
Special Features

File Specs
-Media Type
-Geometry
-Polygons
-Vertices
-Textures
-Materials
-Jointed
-Animated
-3D Platform
-File Size

Hope this answers your questions. If you have models to sell... let us know we would love to help you make some money with them.

Email me if you are interested, [email protected]

lede
11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Kurv your the man! Wow what a list of fetures you guy's provide :D Keep up the great promotions BTW loved the Car videos you gouy's released.

-Lee

NanoGator
11-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Kurv, Gotta question:

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I figure there's no harm in asking: What if you're selling something that is partly a model, but partly more? Err bad phrasing. Ok, let's say I create a character, but I wrote an LScript to automate that character. I.e. the model was part of the value, but the plugin WITH that model made it even more attractive. Is this viable? Is it a nono?

Just curious, always thinking of services I can provide.

:cool:

kurv
11-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Not a dumb question at all... To me this sounds like a bonus or added feature to me that could make the model worth more... depends. Also you can make the added feature an option right..?

Kind of like selling a character, rigged or not rigged...

Thoughts..?

AJGoodwin
11-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Interesting discussion here, always a good topic when you get to a point for selling. I personally believe in the sell it yourself. But, Kurv sounds like a good alternative, if you don't have your own business or site to sell from.
My judgement lies on this - they are associated with SafeHarbor. Who I trust explicitly - by they way Kurv, if you talk to Mary there any time soon tell her Mr. Goodwin says hello.

For anyone on here who has interest we have started a user group and forum for anyone interested - http://www.milwaukeelightwaveusers.com/ - which SafeHarbor was kind enough to host for us. Meeting dates are on that site and it is a good place to discuss issues likes sales and getting yourself out into the public's eye.

A.J. Goodwin - Pres.
Racing Snail Graphics, Inc.
Oak Creek, WI
http://www.racingsnail.net

Kvaalen
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Thoughts..?A rigged character IMO should definantly cost more, but there should also be a non rigged version for those who want to animate with another app (such as Messiah:Animate or Motion Builder...).

Same goes for other stuff. IMO it should be encouraged to have additional stuff included, but better if the buyer can choose since many times he might not be able to make any use of it.

Just my opinion. :)

kurv
11-19-2004, 11:31 AM
AJ, I sure will I was trading email with her just this morning :)

The focus of this for KURV is to provide a great service to the artists and the customers... If you would like to sell models and advertise that on our forum, let me know!! Were not trying to be a money only focused business (not that you were saying we were :) ).

Advantages to selling them yourself... you make more money, thatís a given. The hard part is getting yourself out there. We already have channels for this and we have to due to our videos. So the advantage to selling through us is we can bring you traffic... Now having said that... if the product is not good then it may not sell.

All good information :)

Great information about your meetings as well... hope your having fun with that!