PDA

View Full Version : Expressions are BROKEN!

stib
11-12-2004, 06:24 AM
I types in my expression, it should compile, if the documentation is to be believed. I hit validate and .. nothing. Apply is greyed out and says uncompiled, no errors nuttin.
I go to another expression, come back to the one I just writ and all my expression is gone: it just says Value.

GRRRRRRR!

Expression builder is worse than useless: it's confusing and useless. It even openly admits that it isn't complete - just look at the documentation window! I can't believe that a company would put out rubbish like that and expect people to pay money.

here's the expression that I'm trying to compile.

[lightControlNull.Position.X] * Time

innocuous enough one would think.
GRRR Hate it! hate - hate - vomit!

stib
11-12-2004, 06:34 AM
here you go, an example - this is what I'm looking at right now in the expressions builder window:

Error! These are not the droids you are looking for.

Well fuuuuunny. Fire whatever lamer geek thought that would amuse someone trying to get some WORK DONE at ten past one in the morning when all I want to do is get this thing rendered by monday so I can pay some bills.

What is this - a professional level programme, or a toy for the sad sort of people whose idea of fun is to build 3D star wars models in their bedrooms? Geez I'm angry. I'm going to put on me blunnies and start kicking stuff soon.

Lightwolf
11-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Yeah, Validate seems to behave weirdly on my system as well. Just hit Return when you finished entering your expression, that will validate just as well.

I just tried yours, (added a null with your null's name, copied the expression, pasted it, hit return) no problems.

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
11-12-2004, 08:15 AM
I know it's not an answer to this particular problem, and neither does it excuse the apparently broken implementation and poor attitude* shown by the error you have seen, but I really do hold Relativity 2 in very high regard. I only mention it here because it's kept me from having to use LW's own expressions and I have missed it in every other app I've tried.

* The error message, though, does seem to sit uncomfortably well alongside the less favourable reports of NT's presentation style at trade shows, though (NAB, SIGGRAPH). *shrug*

stib
11-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Ok, what the problem seems to be is that you can't have more than one term per expression. So:

sin(time*57 +Value)

will validate, but

abs(sin(time*57 +Value))

wont.

So you have to put the first expression as a sub expression vis:

abs([Expr 1])

How frikkin lame is that? Especially when you can only go 3 expressions deep. I'm sure it wasn't like this in 7.5c, please correct me if I'm wrong.