PDA

View Full Version : Polar Express

archiea
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Polar Express

Has anyone seen it yet? Any thoughts?

Mylenium
11-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but the promo stuff looks so dull I'm not tempted ever watching it.

Mylenium

Nemoid
11-11-2004, 01:31 PM
didn't see because here in italy american movies always arrive late compared to usa. but i'ive seen a trailer, and some sequence shown in TV .

my sensation was a mixed feeling between Final fantasy, with something really really better in it, but with something lacking at the same time, in character's overall expression and maybe textures. i saw these things alot of time ago. so, maybe CG in the actual movie is better than what i saw at the moment.

Zemeckis, as always has taken a great risk with this production. he usually tells good stories too, so, since he's a good director the movie can be very good.

General sensation on CG remains the same, for now though. We will see.

Mylenium
11-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Yepp, exactly. There is too much of this "rubber mouth" facial expressions (the faces just look distorted whenever they move) plus the cloth simulation looks extremely cheap and unsophisticated and this is ruining everything. The rest looks ok.

Mylenium

Big Jay
11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
saw it.

Final fantasy all over again. The best animation is actually 2 minor characters (train engineer and driver) The disappearing hobo from the commercials is a little better but than the other stiffs but has an odd stoke victim/botox kind of stiffness to him that is odd. The rest are stiff and the usual problems with motion capture.

look wise it is great. the moving painting feel works well and the renders and hair and the rest all look great. If not for the zombie like expressions I would be a classic

Too bad Square is still not around they could of helped alot

Jim_C
11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Little article about CGI, effects and ?pushing technology.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/11/11/eye.ent.express/index.html

HowardM
11-12-2004, 03:24 PM
If you see this movie, I suggest you find an IMAX3D that is playing it.
Was very cool to see CGI in 3D at IMAX res! The story was simple, so dont go for anything interesting besides some really cool looking CGI in 3D!

3D makes it really look incredible!

Now if only The Incredibles or maybe Shrek3 would be in 3D?
:D

Nemoid
11-13-2004, 01:04 PM
uhm... so expressions and movement are kinda stiff? not a good thing.

i think that this is mainly a problem that happens when realistic chars are involved.
first of all, human eye notices all sort of little imperfections.in look and movements.
secondly, human beings can't obviously do the same things that cartoons are allowed to, so theyb are less expressive indeed.
third, maybe animators have some difficulties when trying to reproduce human movements also witn keyrame animation.

the best would be motion capture, but it brings several problems because it have to be corrected however, and often real humans don't mach proportions of cg characters in the movie. in the opposite case, why don't use real actors then? :D

The greatests works were made by weta for LOTR with Gollum, and ILM with Harry Potter's little creture in 2nd movie so far.

so this is possible, but maybe going cartoons or anime or not so realistic proportions and look is the way to go (for now).

However can't wait and see this movie to judge it properly. Zemeckis loves those risks, a good thing. that means alot of research and maybe this movie will bring some evolutions to 3D industry too.

Caveboy
11-21-2004, 02:44 AM
Great flick

I saw it with my 8 year old daughter, and we both enjoyed the film. When a child grows older, it's hard for a parent to see their innocence fade with age. This film deals with "growing up".

We did notice that the mouths looked strange. But it didn't ruin the film. (I love Batman Animated and it has simplistic animation; and when the characters talk, their chins don't move too much. So what? I still like it.) This film is not trying to be photorealistic, but rather artisticly rendered. I never read the children's book, but it's a wonderful story.

The CG was just beautiful. There was an amazing amount of detail.

Check it out.

Nemoid
11-21-2004, 09:37 AM
yeah that.

Even if some things in 3D didn't reach perfection a good story and direction always makes a good movie.

Glad u liked it , i am going to see it when arrives here. :)

JVitale
11-25-2004, 05:41 PM
If you see this movie, I suggest you find an IMAX3D that is playing it.
Was very cool to see CGI in 3D at IMAX res! The story was simple, so dont go for anything interesting besides some really cool looking CGI in 3D!

3D makes it really look incredible!

Now if only The Incredibles or maybe Shrek3 would be in 3D?
:D

I saw in IMAX too...I went in there with very low expections and was actually pleasantly surprised...The things we expected to be bad were bad, zombie like expressions and all, but the roller coaster scenes were fun :D

Kuzey
11-26-2004, 04:46 AM
I saw previews of it on tv and I must say it looks like a Poser movie to me!!

First there were bored real actors..Starwars 1&2 and now there are bored 3d actors....how funny is that :) :)

I'll wait for the Pixar film instead.

Kuzey